Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Word for the Evening

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

Word of the Day

• caitiff
  • audio pronunciation
  • \KAY-tif\
  • DEFINITION

adjective

: cowardly, despicable
  • EXAMPLES

"Oh, horrible wretch! a murderer! unmanly murderer!-a defenceless woman smothered by caitiff hands!" - Edward Bulwer-Lytton, What Will He Do With It?, 1858

"... the Vichy cabinet accepted the German offer of air support from Sicily and Sardinia. This caitiff decision enabled the Germans to take the quick, decisive action of occupying airfields in Tunisia, with all its costly consequences upon our campaign." - Winston Churchill, The Hinge of Fate, 1950

• DID YOU KNOW?

Caitiff is pretty rare in contemporary use, but it has functioned since the 14th century as an adjective and also as a noun meaning "a base, cowardly, or despicable person" (as in Shakespeare's Measure for Measure: "O thou caitiff! O thou varlet! O thou wicked Hannibal!"). Both the adjective and the noun evolved from the Anglo-French adjective caitif, meaning "wretched, despicable." The French word in turn derived from the Latin captivus, meaning "captive"-the shift from "captive" to "wretched" being perhaps prompted by the perception of captives as wretched and worthy of scorn.

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome!  I love learning new words!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Jinx's word of the eveing... STUDY!

The kids ALL had unproductive days. They ALL lied aout getting their assignments done. Mommy is DONE!! DH even got in on it and yelled at DS2. DH RARELY comments on school so it was nice to have backup.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

lol -- Me too.  In fact, I used to go through the dictionary and look up words on my own just to find what new words I could learn.  I was such a nerd! LOL

Quoting kmath:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I do like your word of the day also...i love bringing back little used words like that.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Aww. I'm sorry that your day was unproductive.  I hope that your day goes much better tomorrow.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx's word of the eveing... STUDY!

The kids ALL had unproductive days. They ALL lied aout getting their assignments done. Mommy is DONE!! DH even got in on it and yelled at DS2. DH RARELY comments on school so it was nice to have backup.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Thanks!. :) 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I do like your word of the day also...i love bringing back little used words like that.

kmath
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I always get the word of the day calendars, especially the ones with the older, less used words! 

Quoting kirbymom:

lol -- Me too.  In fact, I used to go through the dictionary and look up words on my own just to find what new words I could learn.  I was such a nerd! LOL

Quoting kmath:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You will have to point me in the right direction so that I can too!  :))

Quoting kmath:

I always get the word of the day calendars, especially the ones with the older, less used words! 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kmath:

kmath
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
They have them in those calendar kiosks at the mall. Might have them online as well. If I find a good one I will let you know!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kmath:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Awesome! Please do! Thank You so much! :)

Quoting kmath: They have them in those calendar kiosks at the mall. Might have them online as well. If I find a good one I will let you know!
Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kmath:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)