Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"mommy-time"

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

When you are homeschooling your kiddos how do you find time to get everything else done around the house plus some time for yourself? It seems like I have been struggling all week doing both...it's either one or the other some days. I'm curious how you find time for yourself and how often....plus how long....also when do you get house work finished? I know I need to get better with time management but maybe ideas from you ladies will help. :)

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hipmomto3
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM
If we don't have any errands/classes/etc., I actually find there are too many hours in the day. What exactly is it you want to do during your 'me' time?

We usually do school from roughly 9-12. Maybe a tad shorter or longer. After lunch, I catch up on house stuff (sweep, switch out laundry that I started in the morning, pay bills, etc). I either go to the gym & take the kids at 3:30, when the kids' room opens, or I go early morning or late evening when DH is here. Thats my alone time.
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM
4 moms liked this
Its never "done". Honestly, when will there never be a dish to be washed, laundry to be folded? Its always there, so why make yourself crazy over it? Now that my kids are older, they work more independently, and do more chores, so I have more time to myself. But it was different when they were little. It was a different season in my life. My house wasn't as clean. This is temporary. Don't sweat it. Embrace the now.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM

For one thing I got over the need to keep up a "cleaning schedule" and realized if the important stuff was kept clean and the rest gets done when it gets done we're good. There are toys on the ottoman every.single.day but it gets cleaned off at regular intervals (for about 15 minutes). Sometimes my bedroom furniture is dusty but the sheets and towels are clean! I HAVE to have a clean kitchen that's the 1 thing I never ever let slide. My son(4) helps me do the laundry and I don't think its hard to keep up with if you don't ignore it and put away right away. My bathrooms aren't perfect and sometimes to counters are clean but I still need to do the tubs or vice versa. As for "me time" I don't really get any yet. My son has been a challenge to say the least. He has some serious sensory issues and that makes everyday stuff a little tricky, it's not as easy for me to leave the house or even do things in the house without my little "Velcro boy".But it's getting better as my son gets older. I'm in the process of learning how to ensure I get some. That's more because I'm bad about forcing the issue and always put myself last but my goal for 2015 is to make more time for exercise and some recharging now that my son is turning 5 and can take care of more of his needs himself. Just like working moms, it's a balancing act.

Mythreelovies
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM

That's what I am kind of talking about. I know homeschooling is a sacrifice for moms. I  am just trying to find time to make a little time to recharge each day. I spent so many years not doing that and ended up worse off than I needed to be. It's not about getting a ton of time it's just about recharging yourself so you can do the best you can with the littles:) Thanks for your input.

Quoting Molimomma:

For one thing I got over the need to keep up a "cleaning schedule" and realized if the important stuff was kept clean and the rest gets done when it gets done we're good. There are toys on the ottoman every.single.day but it gets cleaned off at regular intervals (for about 15 minutes). Sometimes my bedroom furniture is dusty but the sheets and towels are clean! I HAVE to have a clean kitchen that's the 1 thing I never ever let slide. My son(4) helps me do the laundry and I don't think its hard to keep up with if you don't ignore it and put away right away. My bathrooms aren't perfect and sometimes to counters are clean but I still need to do the tubs or vice versa. As for "me time" I don't really get any yet. My son has been a challenge to say the least. He has some serious sensory issues and that makes everyday stuff a little tricky, it's not as easy for me to leave the house or even do things in the house without my little "Velcro boy".But it's getting better as my son gets older. I'm in the process of learning how to ensure I get some. That's more because I'm bad about forcing the issue and always put myself last but my goal for 2015 is to make more time for exercise and some recharging now that my son is turning 5 and can take care of more of his needs himself. Just like working moms, it's a balancing act.

coala
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I actually work on household tasks for 15 mins at a time.  If I don't complete my to do list then so be it.  You have to let some things go.  I don't get time for myself often, but when I do.....I like to go for a pedicure, out for sushi with a friend or take a nap.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM
When the kids were small, I got up early and got things done.

We did most of our work in the morning because DH worked nights and keeping the kids quiet with school work helped him sleep.

Our big meal of the day would be lunch with DH when he got up for work.

Then once he left, we had mandatory nap/quiet time in the afternoon (none of the kids stopped naps until 6-7 yo) and I did housework in tue afternoons while the kids had tv and game time.

I would do more housework in the evening once the kids were in bed. We always made tons of noise while the kids slept. I vacuumed under their cribs even so my banging around never bothered them.

As they got older, I would leave them with DH to go workout or go to karate or run errands. I never understood those that say,"DH is babysitti g." It isnt babysitting when the kid is yours. LOL. I just say,"DH has the kids."
JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are responsible for the kitchen, the dining room, the guest bathroom and the upstairs bathroom.  Then I just have the living room, my bedroom and bathroom. (I have five kids)

They have to keep the kitchen and dining room clean all day, but the bathrooms are every other day they have to clean up each bathroom.  

I do laundry.

My husband does most of the cooking.

I get time for myself and with my husband after the kids go to sleep at night. 

jen2150
by on Dec. 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM
I make the time no matter what. When my kids were young I joined a gym with childcare. My evenings are also my time to recharge. I also had a Reading hour at the same each day. Curling up with my kids in bed while reading or watching a movie hellped. No housework while they napped.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I have to say that I agree with you wholeheartedly!  

Quoting Leissaintexas: Its never "done". Honestly, when will there never be a dish to be washed, laundry to be folded? Its always there, so why make yourself crazy over it? Now that my kids are older, they work more independently, and do more chores, so I have more time to myself. But it was different when they were little. It was a different season in my life. My house wasn't as clean. This is temporary. Don't sweat it. Embrace the now.

AmyMamie
by on Dec. 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I also agree with this wholeheartedly!  I have a 6-yr-old and 3-yr-old, so we're in the middle of this crazy/messy time of life right now.  Plus both are boys, so things seem to get extra messy, broken, and loud. :)  But I love the time home with them SO much that it helps me keep things in perspective:  I can't keep it all clean and picked up, so I focus on keeping the livng room, bathroom and kitchen picked up.  Those are the only areas a drop-in guest will see.  That helps me keep sane.

I like to work on one room a day, or one big project (like folding laundry).  So when I get up, I have the most energy, and that's when I tackle a large house chore.  Then we eat breakfast, work on schoolwork from 10-12, eat lunch, and then I send the boys outside to play.  I have my computer in the dining room, so it's central, and allows me to watch them and work on my accounting, bill paying, etc.  They can play inside, too, but have to keep the toys in their room.  That also helps my sanity. :)  At 3 pm, I allow them to watch tv, and I start dinner (sometimes I can sneak a little quiet time in here, too, or at least get the dishes done).  Dinner at 5 pm, then they play with daddy awhile and help him with any of his projects.  Later they get to play on their tablets while we watch our tv show, unless it's family game night or Family Worship night.  Then bedtime for all 3 guys by 9 pm, and I stay up til 11 pm.  That gives me 2 hours of quiet ME time, and that's the biggest part of keeping my stress level down.  I love that quiet time for a book, or a movie that only I will like.  I might do a quick house pick-up before starting my ME time, but usually I try to not let any chores take that over.  Just relax. 

It's working great for me, and I think finding that ME time is important, because it helps you keep the joy in being with your children all day, every day.  Otherwise we're just stressed.  So I hope you find a way to get a couple hours in for you as well!

Quoting Leissaintexas: Its never "done". Honestly, when will there never be a dish to be washed, laundry to be folded? Its always there, so why make yourself crazy over it? Now that my kids are older, they work more independently, and do more chores, so I have more time to myself. But it was different when they were little. It was a different season in my life. My house wasn't as clean. This is temporary. Don't sweat it. Embrace the now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)