Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is it worth it to go through a charter?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM
  • 15 Replies

I would be just fine doing all the homeschool stuff myself including paying for the curriculum. It's tight, but we can manage. However, my daughter is high needs and over the summer we realized I needed a break from her now and again. So we found this charter in our area that seemed awesome. Once a week she goes to the charter program and takes 5 elective classes. This gives her a fun outlet and some extra curriculars, and me a day with just my toddler. They said at the beginning that they run the interference with the state and that there are very little requirements. They will purchase curriculum (that gets returned to them) if it's on the approved list. 3rd grade and up have to do year end tests. All grades do reading DIBELS three times a year. THAT'S IT. THAT is what I signed on for. Approval for curriculum IF I wanted them to get it for me. DIBELS assessements for my first grader.

What it has really been: Required math tests a few times a year. Monthly meetings where we have to cover everything we've done and share goals and whatever else they ask. They request you to make changes or additions if they don't think you're doing enough/right things. And weekly reporting. Every week I am to fill out a weeky report that has five boxes each for math, LA, science, SS, and Arts. All five boxes for each subject must be filled out each week with details as to what we did. So for math they want to know which lesson/exercises we did. Which science unit/lab. They said they are taking each lesson we report doing and comparing it to the standards listed for that so they can mark it off some master list for our kid to ensure that we have managed to cover all the standards required by our state.

Our state is a no reg state. Without the charter all I have to do is send in a notarized form saying "Hey, we're homeschooling. Thanks bye."

GAH. This kind of thing bothers me a lot. I do NOT appreciate the level of oversight. I understand them being a charter and offering services that they can require these things. But this is not what I signed on for. This is not what was promised at the beginning of the year. If it had been spelled out, I would have walked away, no biggie. But now my daughter is used to her class day and enjoys it. I don't want to yank her out. I had already purchased our curriculum but we decided to try something new so we do have some from them, but I'm planning on sending it back next week anyway as it wasn't a good fit. If we stay with them I am going to request All About Spelling. Because they are requiring me to add spelling. Even though my first grader isn't quite ready for spelling and I had planned to start next year. :/

SO, would you jump through their hoops and give them all this EXTRA info that is NOT necessary or, frankly, any of their business, and alter your schedule/planning to fit what THEY want vs what you felt was important...to allow your child to continue with the classes they enjoyed? If you would stick around, would you find it worth it to sign on for the following year? We would get more benefit out of it next year since I won't have already purchased all our curriculum so they would.

(My daughter is advanced in some subjects, behind in writing, has sensory processing disorder, ADHD, and is still in evaluations for possible further dx.) Sorry that got so long!

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 1, 2015 at 4:18 AM
For us the Charter is worth it. The teacher we report to is phenomenal. I do the once a month meeting and only take one page per subject to turn in. We talk about what we got done but there are no checkoff sheets or anything. I am never harassed for not doing enough.

We opt out of the yearly testing so that isnt an issue.

There is a reaource center where electives are available but it is 100% optional. DD goes one day a week. Neither boy goes.

I can choose my own curriculum as long as I follow three basic rules:
Must be secular~No religous items.
Must be at or above the students grade level.
Must be curriculum, or consumable supplies. Can not be furniture. (I can get paint, canvas,and/or brushes, but not an easel.
manders018
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2015 at 7:35 AM

I am sorry you have run into this sort of trouble. It is very frustrating when things are not as promised. Did you have in writing what they told you was required and now they are requiring more? Maybe if that is the case you can say I signed on for x, y and z not all the other stuff so I will not be doing that?

If not, and I was in your position I would probably finish out this year for my daughter's sake. Yes it is a pain in the butt doing all the extra work but it sounds like you are both benefiting from her time there. This would also give you time to find something else that might fit her creative outlet and give you that needed break too.

Good Luck!

kmath
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2015 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
It wouldn't be worth it to me. If your state doesn't require all those extra hoops, I would be looking for something else for her to do.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Is there co op you can join to give your daughter the social interaction she enjoys?

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2015 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
There would never be reason enough to go with a charter, if it were me. You can get the same level of interaction with a co-op or even just a homeschool group. Charters are a business, a public school business.
jen2150
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Oh would only give what they said in the beginning. Hold them to their word. It wouldn't be worth it to me. I love my freedom. I belong to two weekly and one monthly co-op. I work moms service hours for pay to pay for them. Co-ops can be more helpful and still give you final say and more freedom.
Mommy2Phenley
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: For us the Charter is worth it. The teacher we report to is phenomenal. I do the once a month meeting and only take one page per subject to turn in. We talk about what we got done but there are no checkoff sheets or anything. I am never harassed for not doing enough.

We opt out of the yearly testing so that isnt an issue.

There is a reaource center where electives are available but it is 100% optional. DD goes one day a week. Neither boy goes.

I can choose my own curriculum as long as I follow three basic rules:
Must be secular~No religous items.
Must be at or above the students grade level.
Must be curriculum, or consumable supplies. Can not be furniture. (I can get paint, canvas,and/or brushes, but not an easel.

They told us we are not allowed to opt out of testing. The first reading assessment they came back and said my daughter scored "well below level". It was the first test of first grade. She reads on a 3rd-4th grade level. She has to be assessed again next week.
Mommy2Phenley
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 12:42 PM
Quoting manders018:

I am sorry you have run into this sort of trouble. It is very frustrating when things are not as promised. Did you have in writing what they told you was required and now they are requiring more? Maybe if that is the case you can say I signed on for x, y and z not all the other stuff so I will not be doing that?

If not, and I was in your position I would probably finish out this year for my daughter's sake. Yes it is a pain in the butt doing all the extra work but it sounds like you are both benefiting from her time there. This would also give you time to find something else that might fit her creative outlet and give you that needed break too.

Good Luck!

The paperwork we had was only informational, nothing I signed. The application was online so any requirements they've changed will have been added to that part of the site already.
Mommy2Phenley
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM
Quoting mem82:

Is there co op you can join to give your daughter the social interaction she enjoys?

There's a large co op we're in, but it is more of a contact list. They do occasional group things like not back to school parties. There is no weekly co op meeting or classes. People can start a class for others to join, but it's hit or miss what's going on and all would be on an individual basis and most cost nearly as much as regular extra curriculars.

All other co ops around here are religious and we are not.
Mommy2Phenley
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM
Quoting jen2150: Oh would only give what they said in the beginning. Hold them to their word. It wouldn't be worth it to me. I love my freedom. I belong to two weekly and one monthly co-op. I work moms service hours for pay to pay for them. Co-ops can be more helpful and still give you final say and more freedom.

I would love this, but the only ones I've found like this are religious. I live in utah. :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)