Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Many of us get a lot of noise from family about homeschooling but...

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:13 PM
  • 10 Replies
9 moms liked this

My brother-in-law was here with my DH's twin sis and their 3 kids and in the middle of our fun day at the zoo he said, "You know, I just want to tell you, you're doing an awesome job with him. He's very smart and knows so much more than mine did at that age. I think it's incredible everything you do with him." This is an average guy. If you saw him you'd probably think he was a biker or maybe a bouncer at a bar. He's tall, has a beard, tattoos, etc. I was so touched that he would say this to me. He's usually pretty quiet and doesn't say much. He LOVES my son and since he trimmed his beard down a bit my son now loves him back! We had such a great time with them visiting all week. I was glad my son had the opportunity to spend more time with them and make memories. But anyway...I just had to share that because we always seem to hear the unfriendly stories of stress and pressure from family but this time it was a good story. I hardly ever feel like I'm doing a good enough job and to hear someone tell me that they think I'm doing way better than "good enough" really warmed my heart.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manders018
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:12 PM

That's great!

My father in law who was our biggest vocal advocate has decided it is cool that we homeschool now because my son can go skiing on Fridays with him when it is cheap. LOL. Go figure.

MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:17 PM
Yay! I love hearing positive stories! All my family is supportive, it's outside the family, even strangers, that like to be off here.
Cafe AmyS
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:57 PM

That's wonderful that you have such support and that he is seeing the benefits of homeschooling for your son!  Affirming that you are doing the right thing must mean so much. :)

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:20 PM

I think we are very lucky in that both my mother and my in-laws are very supportive. Coming from a generation where hardly anyone ever homeschooled (and me being a public school teacher before I had my son) I totally expected them to think I was crazy or at least it was not a good idea. Instead they've all been great. I think my mom is hoping he goes to "regular school" eventually but she hasn't said that out loud yet. I was just so surprised that of anyone, my SIL's husband would be telling me that I was doing well and he was impressed. 

coala
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Thats wonderful!  I hear from people all the time that they think I'm doing a great job with my girls, but they could NEVER handle it.  The thing is....the longer you are at this the more patience you grow to have with you own children.  It is hard having to find the balance between mom, teacher, maid, chaffeur, and cook.  If you work hard enough you can and will find it.

fallenangel_353
by on Jan. 8, 2015 at 9:42 AM
My family for the most part supports us for our homeschooling choice. Besides an early learning class and 2 weeks in a Kindergarten public school for my ds, my kids have only homeschooled. I have a 4th grader and a Kindergartener. They aren't cafemom smart (lol), you know how a lot of these kids seem to be geniuses and excel in calculus by age 6. They're right where they need to be and are easy to teach. I'm content with that.
melindabelcher
by Mel on Jan. 8, 2015 at 9:45 AM
Such a sweet story :)
Glad your getting some support :)
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2015 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL that's how I feel about the FB posts on Practical Homeschooling. All their 4 year olds speak 3 languages and read at a 5th grade level! I finally stopped reading their stuff because it just made me feel inadequate. I agree with you, my kiddo is really bright in math & science and has a great vocabulary but isn't reading on his own yet and is not a big writer either. I'm trying to take a more Montessori approach that he'll learn at his own pace and in his own time.

Quoting fallenangel_353: My family for the most part supports us for our homeschooling choice. Besides an early learning class and 2 weeks in a Kindergarten public school for my ds, my kids have only homeschooled. I have a 4th grader and a Kindergartener. They aren't cafemom smart (lol), you know how a lot of these kids seem to be geniuses and excel in calculus by age 6. They're right where they need to be and are easy to teach. I'm content with that.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2015 at 4:27 PM

awesome

alf2651
by on Jan. 9, 2015 at 11:18 PM

That's wonderful! I'm glad you have such positive support. 

My mom and DH's cousin, who is a teacher, are the biggest support system I have in homeschooling. DH's mother and grandmother don't like it, but my family has several people who homeschool, so I fall back on them when I have questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)