Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Probably been asked a thousand times! (2nd Grade)

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

What do *you* use for second grade for your children? Pros? Cons? My DD is finishing up first soon, and I had planned on continuing to do ABeka.

I'm Mary married(since 2008) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008), Caidence(2010), Wrex(2013). Christian, SAHM/Homeschooler, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Delayed/Selective Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, UP/UC, holistic loving, AP, ERF & EH, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manders018
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I am using a varitey of stuff for my second grader and honestly he is getting mostout of his own explorations.

We use the ABeka history this yearand it isn't as in depth as he liked so we are using it basically as a starting point for more research. I have been looking into switching to Story of the World for next year.

We have been using Bob Jones Math (I like that), Reading and English (I am not super satisfied with those so I am looking into other things.)

For Science we have been using a combination of the R.E.A.L. Science Odysea, Magic School Bus Kits, Library books and Netflix documentaries. This seems to work for us but next year I plan on more experiments/exploration. (It is hard to explore Space without actually going there in some senses)

We also read chapter books, write in journals, and take some extra curricular activities for Art, Music and P.E.

bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

McGraw-Hill Science, Story of the World, MUS Beta, Time for Grammar, Spelling You See, Writer's Inc Story Prompts, HoP 2nd, Nat'l Geo Kids' Atlas U.S., and books we like.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

We'll probably be using 
Story of the World for history depending on how it goes with my little guy next year (which will be 1st/2nd for him) 
Math U See
All About Spelling
All About Reading
 Elemental Science (maybe...I'm still debating if we're going to use it again...) 
Handwriting Without Tears
 Writing it still a toss up. I was going to use Write Shop...but I wasn't liking the Primary book we used this year too much...he hates copying. I might just do little journal prompts with him instead until he gets a bit older. 

MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM
I was thinking about handwhandwriting without tears! My DD could use it.

Quoting No_Difference:

We'll probably be using Story of the World for history depending on how it goes with my little guy next year (which will be 1st/2nd for him) Math U SeeAll About SpellingAll About Reading Elemental Science (maybe...I'm still debating if we're going to use it again...) Handwriting Without Tears Writing it still a toss up. I was going to use Write Shop...but I wasn't liking the Primary book we used this year too much...he hates copying. I might just do little journal prompts with him instead until he gets a bit older. 

coala
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

We have used Abeka for K4-3rd (just started ....onto day 3).  We love this program.  If you are in the market for a few 2nd grade teachers manuals let me know.  I have a few extras for 2nd grade material.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 1:46 PM

We've liked it so far, although I did totally end up ditching the teacher's manual and we just do a page every other day. My kids didn't like the other activities that went with it like tracing with chalk or the big arm motions... If he really struggles with writing a letter, we go back to it, and I print off blank handwriting pages online and he just practices that letter a few more times.

Quoting MaryJarrett: I was thinking about handwhandwriting without tears! My DD could use it.
Quoting No_Difference:

We'll probably be using Story of the World for history depending on how it goes with my little guy next year (which will be 1st/2nd for him) Math U SeeAll About SpellingAll About Reading Elemental Science (maybe...I'm still debating if we're going to use it again...) Handwriting Without Tears Writing it still a toss up. I was going to use Write Shop...but I wasn't liking the Primary book we used this year too much...he hates copying. I might just do little journal prompts with him instead until he gets a bit older. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
melindabelcher
by Mel on Jan. 8, 2015 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Konos
my own math
bugayfamilyof4
by on Jan. 8, 2015 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

We are useing Christain Light edu for LA and Math. Science is the library also some Story of the World. 

hipmomto3
by on Jan. 8, 2015 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Sonlight Core C
Sonlight Science C
Handwriting Without Tears
Teaching Textbooks 3 (math)

I am using these for my 2nd and 3rd graders simultaneously.
Codysmom2106
by on Jan. 8, 2015 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Math U See, Shurley English, Spectrum workbooks as a supplement for LA and Writing, All About Spelling, Trail Guide to Geography, Apologia Science, Story of the World, Spelling and Vocabulary Words, and chapter books for reading...Oh and Independent Study Spanish through K12.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)