Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Life of Fred

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello!

I am looking at maybe trying a different math curriculum.  We started out with Time4Learning, and then went to Kahn Academy and my 8 yr old DD prefers Kahn Academy but still struggles with math.  I looked at Math U See but I don't necessarily think that will work for us.  I looked into Life of Fred and so far what I am seeing is awesome.  My DD loves to read and stories and I think based on what I've read, it looks like it teaches mathematical concepts in a way she would understand.  Do any of you ladies use it?  If I was to get it, where would I start?    Any feedback would be awesome!

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jen2150
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 5:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Start at the beginning and just move quickly. You can add in extra practice and math games. It is a great program.
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Many people love LOF. I loved the concept and my kids enjoyed the stories. But after Fractions, they still had no understanding of fractions. I think it just didn't fit their learning style. It may be perfect for your child.
MamaLauri
by Member on Jan. 17, 2015 at 9:03 AM

It does not resonate with me. I agree with the approach just not the implementation. People seem to love or hate it. So if it works for your DD that is great.

I recommend "Math (Stop Faking It! Finally Understanding Science So You Can Teach It)" by William C. Robertson. It is for you not your DD. He has other fantastic books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)