Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

your why

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:58 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
Why did you chose to homeschool?
what was the biggest factor for you?
What made you think I can and should do this?
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:40 PM

I knew from the start we would homeschool. I had an okay education but not anything to sneeze at. kwim?

Our biggest factor was that we wanted to ensure that the kids were as educated as they could be and prepared for whatever life throws at them.

well, I just wanted my kids to have better than me and that was my motivation. :)  

Quoting heather86w: Why did you chose to homeschool? what was the biggest factor for you? What made you think I can and should do this?

heather86w
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM
That's great that you always knew you would homeschool. My journey to homeschooling was not that direct.
I also want my kids to have better then me.

Quoting kirbymom:

I knew from the start we would homeschool. I had an okay education but not anything to sneeze at. kwim?

Our biggest factor was that we wanted to ensure that the kids were as educated as they could be and prepared for whatever life throws at them.

well, I just wanted my kids to have better than me and that was my motivation. :)  

Quoting heather86w: Why did you chose to homeschool?
what was the biggest factor for you?
What made you think I can and should do this?

mcginnisc
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM

I'm going to be very honest here...

I started homeschooling for 1 reason- to save money for a vacation we are taking. My girls were in private school until this year when I started homeschooling. We wanted to bank the tuition for the girls for this year and next year for this trip as well as not have to deal with the school with the trip. 

I'm not sure how long I will homeschool, but I am fairly certain they will either be back in private school or once we move in 2 years, they will be in one of the best public school districts in our state so they might go to public school by the time my oldest is in 5th grade..maybe 6th. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Lordgodempress
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:53 PM

I chose to homeschool because of how much trouble we were having with the school.  My DD has a few special needs but with a little work they shouldn't inhibit her learning but the school wasn't willing to do the work.  That's why I decided to homeschool but after starting to homeschool, we've learned that she is learning so much more at home, things she would most likely never learn in public school.

heather86w
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM
This seems to be a common complaint with public school.

Quoting Lordgodempress:

I chose to homeschool because of how much trouble we were having with the school.  My DD has a few special needs but with a little work they shouldn't inhibit her learning but the school wasn't willing to do the work.  That's why I decided to homeschool but after starting to homeschool, we've learned that she is learning so much more at home, things she would most likely never learn in public school.

manders018
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:47 PM

I have lots of why's behind the decision but it ultimately came down to the fact that it felt what was right for our family.

We did try a brick and mortar school too.

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:52 PM
My son is almost 4 & I have a 1.5 year old. I used to work as a special Ed teacher. The schools around here are terrible (most do private school or charter schools or inter district transfer, this is a neighborhood where the houses start at $700k as well). So I would either have to work to pay for a private school, work at the school my kids attend (I would 'bring them' to the new district), or homeschool.

Other reasons:
Teacher/child ratio
Able to go at my own child's pace & interests
Able to teach what I want (my 3 year old is learning about magnets - basically the same stuff I was teaching my 3rd graders)
I like my kids
My son has life threatening food allergies (& epipen a are only allowed in a locked cabinet in the nurses room, which is often away from the secretary's office, who has the key....)

Some negative reasons: teacher/child ratio is terrible at schools (30:1 from kinder on), there are terrible teachers - I've worked with many. Even the good teachers have to go along with the curriculum & 1 size fits all because there's no time to do individual stuff.

I can provide a lot more in a lot less time than a teacher can (especially due to the 30 kids per teacher ratio), we can do a lot more field trips (vs 2-3/year), and there's a lot of curriculums to use, and a lot of activities for homeschoolers in my area. It was a no brainier for me to homeschool
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:57 PM

I used to teach and people asked when I was pregnant if I would homeschool him. At the time I said no, he would probably just go to whatever school I was teaching in. Then I AFTER I had him I discovered he has some sensory issues and the 4 years leading up to going to school made me realize not only did I not think HE would do well in a traditional school I didn't want to go back either! I LOVE homeschooling a 100x more than I did teaching at public school. My son has zero desire to go to "regular school" either. He's very attached at this point and he would never be emotionally ready for regular kindergarten BUT he's doing the work of a kindergarten/1st grader and just turned 5 a couple weeks ago. He's ahead in some areas and behind in others and swings widely in just about everything! I have learned so much researching SPD(sensory processing disorder) and am able to make accommodations for his issues that the would never do in public school. I like being able to use a blend of Montessori, Unit studies, and traditional school work, and life. Public school doesn't look anything like that!

kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:34 PM
I got tried of his teachers wanting him diagnosed with ADHD, when he was just bored. Since I took him out he has started loving learning again. Plus we have so much fun, I can't imagine putting him back in school.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:15 PM

The schools by us are absolutely atrocious. When my oldest was in K we lived in MD, when we moved to WV, her 1st grade curriculum was the same as her K. We told them that if she was not being pushed, she would not do well, and they told us that it was not their problem. ...yeah...  They would tell her she was reading and writing and doing math wrong and then the bullying & lying started from the STAFF, and Jamie was getting poked in the eye with a pencil daily. The final straw was when some kid during library cut her hair. We told them she was not coming back after Christmas break.  
I didn't think I could do it honestly, but there were no other options at that point. After I started getting comfortable with it though, we knew right away, even if we could afford to send  the kids to a private school, that it really wasn't an option around here. So now my little guy most likely will never see the inside of a school, and I am perfectly ok with that lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)