Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeschooling with a newborn

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:31 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am expecting in april. I was wondering if other homeschool moms took any time off? I was thinking maybe just a week or two. Or would you just scale back a bit and just do the basics for those first few weeks? How many of you do skip a single beat?
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hipmomto3
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
We are expecting in late August. Normally we'd be a couple weeks into the new school year, but we are going to do half days most of the summer to get a head start. That way we can take a week or two totally off, then even another week or two of halfdays if we need.
heather86w
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:55 AM
Congratulations! If I take a couple weeks completely off we could just go in to the summer. So that's always a option.

Quoting hipmomto3: We are expecting in late August. Normally we'd be a couple weeks into the new school year, but we are going to do half days most of the summer to get a head start. That way we can take a week or two totally off, then even another week or two of halfdays if we need.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats! :)

You could just take a break and add back to your day what youe feel you and the kids are capable of doing without causing too big a ripple during the time you recoup. And then you can also do a scaled back version during the summer so that you feel like you are staying at least at level without too much of a fall back in learning.

Precious333
by Julia on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Do it! I unfortunately took only a few days off, and I totally over did It. She was my 4th, so I felt like I could handle it, and I did, but my body was not ready to go back to normal even though I felt great. I bled for 12 weeks because I didn't want to slow down, or know how to slow down. So,I suggest taking as mu ch time as you can. The Kids Have their whole lives to learn!
melindabelcher
by Mel on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
We took 1 week off when my dtr was born in October.
Then we did school part time for a couple weeks
jjchick75
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
We adopted a baby at the end of December 2013. I had planned to only take a few days off but it became clear very quickly that we needed more time. I needed time to bond with my new baby. We all needed time to adjust and figure out how everything was going to work. We ended taking off about 10 days and then started back slowly.
manders018
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I am planning on taking the time we need. See how it goes after the baby arrives.

heather86w
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my you have to take care of your self too. My dh is always reminding me of this. I think I will take around 2 weeks off.

Quoting Precious333: Do it! I unfortunately took only a few days off, and I totally over did It. She was my 4th, so I felt like I could handle it, and I did, but my body was not ready to go back to normal even though I felt great. I bled for 12 weeks because I didn't want to slow down, or know how to slow down. So,I suggest taking as mu ch time as you can. The Kids Have their whole lives to learn!
hipmomto3
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 9:18 AM
I'm a chronic planner, so this is really stressful for me! Not knowing when exactly baby will arrive, not knowing how labor will go or how I'll feel after (I bounced back very fast after #2, but #1 & #3 took me a lot longer). It's so hard to plan!

Realistically if no one has a meltdown, school rarely takes us more than 2.5 hours. So if I can scale back our other activities, we should be ok.
sweetserenit292
by Member on Feb. 20, 2015 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a c- section with my last.  I took off a month.   My other two kids were 6 and 4. Had my 6 yr old been older and able to work more independently then maybe a couple of weeks.  I would just listen to your body.   With all the excitement of a new little one.....I wouldn't rush it.  Congratulations! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)