Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas Please

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 6:54 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello ladies. Here is the issue. I have 5 children 3 older girls my 4 year old son and then a 2 year old. My 4 year old son is being evaluated for autism. He has already been diagnosed with severe adhd sensory integration disorder ocd and developmental delays. He is mentally only 31 months old. He can not cut with scissors he cants hold a pencil to write he doesnt understand the concept of counting or sorting we just taught him shapes and colors within the past 3 months. He does not play with toys and is always getting into things like a toddler so cant be left alone and never sits down. So that presents problems with teaching him and teaching others. So I need lots of ideas on things that can teach but also is hands on that will fit his level. Also things to keep him busy to be able to teach other kids because right now there isnt a lot of teaching going on with books just hands on daily life learning. He does have an innotab and will play with that sometimes for small amounts of time other than movies thats the only thing that will have him sit. But he has to be in room with me so I cant put him in room alone to watch a movie so the other children naturally watch tv rather than do work so that doesnt help with getting school work done......ANY IDEAS?

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 7:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I've seen binders that have hands on activities with laminated pieces. Velcro circles are used to be able to stick/unstick pieces. I put together this for my son today (see pic) but have to get the velcro circles still.

We use Legos and any kind of real life counting opportunities. He likes watching videos so we use Youtube. And educational apps on the iPad.

If you search on Pinterest for "autism activities" you'll get a slew of results.
by Julia on Feb. 27, 2015 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw a great article on putting together a sensory backpack or box. I will see of I can find it.
by Group Admin on Feb. 28, 2015 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no experience with having a child with autism or similar issues so  I hope none of these ideas are too clueless.   What you're going through sounds very difficult.

First, I would get your older kids involved.  You could set aside half hour time periods where one of your older girls is tasked with playing with your four year old, while another is tasked with playing with your 2 year old, and during that time you can have one on one learning time with the third child, and then you could switch.  You could even present it to them as they get to "be the teacher" to their little brother (sister?...didn't get the gender of your two year old).  My oldest enjoys getting to teach his younger siblings stuff...makes him feel important.  

Do you think that he  would wear head-phones?  That way he could watch movies while you work with your older children and it wouldn't distract them, especially if you set them up in a chair or desk facing you, but facing away from the TV.

There's this game called Cranium  Hullabalu that is fun to  play with mixed ages (when my kids were 2, 6, and 7.   It has different mats all in different colors and shapes and with different pictures on it.   It plays music and has an "announcer" that calls out different shapes and pictures and stuff...says things like, "Hop to a circle"   or "put one hand on a green and one foot on a food."    This would be a learning game you could play as a family...but also you could make your own similar game (wouldn't have the music, but could still be fun), where you do the same thing with sight words or vocab words or numbers or letters or math problems.  You could call out specific kids names before telling them what to do.  The 2 year old could just jump around willy nilly. 

I used to give all our kids flashlights and we would get into a walk in closet and just play with them.  But you could use this as a backdrop for learning (maybe in a dark room, not a closet...cause that many is hard to fit).  You could do all sorts of light experiements and teach refraction to your older kids.  Or you could read to the kids while they played, or practice other oral learning skills. 

How old are your older kids? I might have some more ideas if I knew their ages or what they are learning.  I'm thinking of ways to teach them that your younger children could particpate peripherally with the activity. 

by Group Admin on Feb. 28, 2015 at 1:34 AM

Yeah...look up sensory bins or backpacks on pinterest...I've seen a lot of that sort of stuff there. 

Quoting Precious333: I saw a great article on putting together a sensory backpack or box. I will see of I can find it.

by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is 5 with sensory issues(but not Autism or ADHD) all these kiddos are VERY different and I only have the 1 so take these ideas for what they are and if they don't work for you disregard.

I use LOTs of sensory bins, my son loved them from about 2-4.5. He still likes them sometimes but not as much. Basically, it's a large plastic bin with some sort of filler(my son likes beans the best) and add scoops, spoons, mini buckets, measuring cups etc to pour, stir, dig, etc. he REALLY loves when we make them "small world plays" with plastic animals, trees, a piece of blue flannel for water...he'll play with that for hours.

we have a small indoor trampoline, best investment I ever made. For awhile he did EVERYTHING on there including eat his dinner and watch dvds. He still uses it daily just not for everything.

we use a scooter board during school. I will use a giant floor puzzle that goes with our theme. Put all the puzzle pieces on 1 side of the room and assemble the puzzle on the opposite side. He uses the scooter board(laying in his tummy) to "deliver" the pieces to me. This is an OT activity & a learning activity. For example, this week we did trains and we have a numbers 1-20 floor puzzle. I scattered the pieces face up on 1 side of the room then we started. I would say, "OK C, what number do we need next 1,2,3..." He would tell me 4 and then use the scooter to go find me the #4 piece and bring it back. The scooter makes it fun AND strengthens his core muscles.

We do a mix of hands on stuff and about 2 worksheets a day for school and school only lasts 1-2 hours. I teach thematically which works really well for him. This week was trains, next week Dr. Suess... All our books, worksheets, activities center around that theme. 

I wish I had more suggestions for what to do when you need to be with the others but I only have the 1 so I don't have any good tips. Is he getting OT yet or any other services either at home or out in town? 

by Sonja on Feb. 28, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Hello :)

Here are some activities I found that may help. :)

10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism

Updated on Apr 4, 2014

Craft activities are fun for everyone, but for children on the autism spectrum, the opportunity to explore color, shape, and sensory experiences can stimulate attention, foster calm, and create loads of fun! Here are 10 activities that teachers and parents love to do with their special needs children.

1. Create a Shredded Flower Bouquet. Who knew shredded paper could be so beautiful? This creative activity involves ripping and shredding paper to create a colorful composition that makes for a great gift or decoration. Kids with special needs will especially love the sensory experience of handling paper and manipulating colors and shapes! Go

2. Underwater I Spy Alphabet Bottle. Sparkly, glittery water is sure to attract curious eyes! This alphabet bottle is fun to make and a great activity to keep your child engaged and focused. The craft helps kids recognize letters in a creative way while enjoying the beautiful shine and sparkle of floating sequins! Go

3. Paint with Ice. Kids love to swirl the melting paint over paper, creating beautiful designs. They'll practice their color recognition and observation skills while observing paint go from a liquid state to a solid state, then back to liquid again! Go

4. Explore the Senses with a Sensory Table. A sensory table is a place designed for squishing, sifting, sorting, digging and pouring! Children will relish the opportunity to get messy, discover, and play freely with engaging their sense of touch, hearing sight. Go

5. Practice Paint Chip Storytelling. Telling a story is like painting a picture, using words instead of paint. In this imaginative activity, your child uses paint chips and words to tell a story! Alter the activity according to the level of your child, and you can spark his imagination and narrative abilities while having a colorful good time! Go

6. Play the Matching Halves Game. This matching activity is a great way to introduce children to the concept of puzzles, and to satisfy many special needs kids who crave order and simplicity. Each craft stick will have only half a shape: find the stick with the missing half and place the sticks side by side to complete each one! Go

7. Sculpt Clay Snowflakes. You don't have to brave the chill to enjoy the beauty of winter. Make sparkly snowflake sculptures and experience winter from the comfort and warmth of your home! Sculpting clay is a great way to boost fine motor skills, and kids with special needs will love the sensory experience of squishing, pulling and kneading as they work. Go

8. Set Up a Smelling Station. With the help of some small containers, rubber bands, scraps of fabric and lots and lots of fragrant ingredients, your child can create a whole collection of smells to tease his nose. Smell is one of the five senses, and kids will love learning about what role it plays while exploring the breathing and relaxation associated with good scents. Go

9. Oobleck Science: Solid or Liquid? Can something be solid and liquid at the same time? Experiment with this classic science activity that introduces kids to the mysteries of states of matter. Children will love the sensory experience of squeezing and splashing that comes with this gooey scientific investigation! Go

10. Make Number Rubbings. Kids love using crayons for just about everything. Put this art streak to good use by introducing them to “rubbings.” They'll work the small muscles in their hands and improve eye-hand coordination. Plus, they'll experiment with different surfaces while practicing shapes and numbers.

by Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

You might want to see how he responds to multisensory teaching. Kids with ASD & ADHD learn differently. Many respond well to music (there is a common genetic reason for this), require visual object/concept to word mapping especially early on, so benefit from/require visual sight words. and can only tolerate a certain amount of information per page or screen. Once neural pathways are built they can learn in more traditional ways, but will always do better with visual & kinetic. For the links below, it works best if you hook up to your flat screen tv so he can move and you or your girls can engage him as he learns (that way he learns academics, social, and executive function skills in an integrated manner that is highly effective and FUN!!!!!! Much better than boring information dense worksheets). 

Read-along Songbooks are joyful multi-sensory ways to building language and math skills, ( (perfect for 2 year olds too) &, the math songs might be early for him but if your girls do the songs he will start to learn). This develops reading, verbal, and interaction skills. Sing with him and encourage him to make up hand and body gestures (like rolling along, put your right foot in, shake all about).

Visual sight words lessons and books still under development. books, but not lessons, are perfect for 2 year olds too. My 2 year old started stringing words into sentences after hearing these.)

Complete multisensory program has letter-sound mapping, word building, phonics, and critical visual sight words for visual and kinetic learners (including kids with dyslexia, ADHD, ASD and other labels). This is the teacher page. Click on one of the units to see the kids page. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)