Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how many hours a day?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:45 AM
  • 9 Replies
Sorry if this has been asked before but how many hours a day do you typically devote to homeschooling?

I'm a bus driver for our public schools and I have a dedicated route that I do every day so I have settimes I have during the day that is for free time. I'm normally home from my route by 9:10. And I need to leave for the after noon no later than 2:15. My two youngest kids nap from about 945/10 until 1/130. So during that nap time is when I'd be able to devote my time to teaching and schooling. Does that sound like enough time? My daughter has ADHD so I feel like a shorter day would benefit her some.
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
debramommyof4
by Group Admin on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
It depends on the child and grade.

My kindergartener would school all day. However we really only work about an hour.

My first grader works about 2 hours and that is pushing it with him.

My 3rd grader works about 4 hours but if we dint have to work to redo reading it would only be about 3.

My 4th grader works about 6 hours but she is working for the most part at about a 5th to 6th grade level so she has a bit more work. I do not see us ever going over 6 hours and those times include breaks and lunch.

We work from 9-3 most days depending on the child and not all of that is me setting and teaching. It is me explaining then moving to the next child and when they are done they come get me and we grade the work together to see how they are doing then review as needed or move on. I dedicate a full hour to my little one then if she still wants school she gets her own worksheets to work on while I work with everyone else.
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Depends on the age really.

DS is 12 and in 8th grade so it can be up to 6 or 7 hours a day (note, he likes to dawdle, we have been done in 4 on a few rare occasions), but when he was younger it required a lot less time. 1st and 2nd grade (our first year homeschooling) I think it was abou 4-5 hours a day, but a lot more of that was "fun" type learning and on Fridays we only did about 2 hours. It just depends on a million different factors really.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:02 PM
My 10 yo takes between 2-5 hours. It depends on the day and his attitude. Some days he flies through it and some days he gets stupid stubborn.
sleepy_in_va
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:16 PM
Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Depends on the age really.

DS is 12 and in 8th grade so it can be up to 6 or 7 hours a day (note, he likes to dawdle, we have been done in 4 on a few rare occasions), but when he was younger it required a lot less time. 1st and 2nd grade (our first year homeschooling) I think it was abou 4-5 hours a day, but a lot more of that was "fun" type learning and on Fridays we only did about 2 hours. It just depends on a million different factors really.

So my daughter is in second grade and it seems like the Times I have (10am to 2pm) will be plenty enough time to teach and work on stuff. :) that makes me feel better. I didn't want to feel like I was cramming way too many things into our day.
coala
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:02 PM

It depends on the child.

My 3rd grader is 3 -3 1/2 hours

My 2nd grader is 2 1/2 -3 hours....she can drag this to 8 hours or more with her ADHD tendancies.

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:52 PM
My Jr high and freshman kids can be done in 4 hours.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:05 PM

How old is your daughter?  If she's in younger grades, that should be pleanty.

My homeschooling day ranges from 1 hour to 3 hours (very longest 4), not counting park time "PE."  My son is in 1st.  Most days we get everything done in an hour (again, not counting PE or outings).   That's for reading, spelling, and math.   Days we do history or science, art or Spanish (our "not every day" subjects) it will go 2 or three hours....IF we try to do all the usual stuff too.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:35 PM

How old is your daughter?

When we're on "full schedule" (we're moving right now and on a shortened schedule), my K/1st grader does about 2 hours daily (recitation, Latin, mathematics, and phonics/copywork daily; history, science, and religion rotating), while my 9th grader's work takes 4-5 hours.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:54 PM
We do about 30-40 minutes a few times a week for preschool. I'm hoping to do kinder in less than an hour, 1st in about an hour, and 2nd in about 1.5 hours.

If it's only one child, you can adjust so it meets your time requirement - like she can do answers orally instead of writing down the answers, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)