Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SO pisses me off.

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:48 PM
  • 2 Replies
So like in everything we teach, we teach in steps and stages. We cannot expect our 2nd grader to understand things at a college level, etc. Well I'm reviewing matter this week in science with the ever so popular water 3 states of matter analogy. SO goes out of his way multiple times to state that steam is not actually a gas in front of the kids. Then goes on to say that he would have understood the concept at their age if it had been taught that way, etc etc. I feel like when he does this, it confuses the kids and just makes my job so much harder. Keep in mind, that is about as involved in homeschooling that his ass gets: to argue that they should learn more sooner at a much higher level or how it's being taught.

His reasoning was "well if they argue with another kid about this subject then they're wrong". And mine was "it's general review and if you complicate things too quickly then they get confused about what actually is a gas or vapor.. will question everything that seemed simple to them before, and then it doesn't really matter if I spent weeks on the concept or not... it's lost on them." I feel like the psychological aspect of what a child is capable of understanding is lost on him and not only do I have to teach the kids but I have to fight him to be able to teach it. I'm so close to telling his ass to butt out permanently because he's doing more harm than good.

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:02 PM
Gee, sounds like my husband. 'Why isn't he reading yet?' (He's 4). 'When can I start teaching him code?' (Later.......) 'why isnt he adding and subtracting yet?' (Again, he's 4....). I've told him he's free to ask questions and if he'd like to help e can, but under my rules (no pushing him, no yelling at him.....)
Jennanonymous
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:22 PM
Sounds like my husband with Math. He tries to jump in and explain more complex concepts. A couple times my first grader has actually understood or learned some of what he was trying to teach her so I let him try still. He is getting better actually the more he tries to help or teach her more than she is learning from me and the curriculum we use. (First couple times ended in agrivation and tears.)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)