Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Homeschool Mom

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:43 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hello Everyone, 

My husband and I just made the decesion today to began homeschooling my 1st grade son. I am very excitied as i have always wanted to homeschool.. So i would like to get some advice on starting out homeschooling. Also advice from mothers who have 1st grade homeschoolers.Also does anyone know of curiclum that is good and reasonable in terms of price..Is there anyone creating their own curiculum? Would love to get some ideas for a 1st grader... Im so glad that i found this group!! THank you so much!!!

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Jennanonymous
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:53 PM
I am homeschooling first grade and prek. I try to stay up to date with current standards and use those to write up a Goals list for each child for each subject. I have a variety of materials and curriculum I am using for 1st grade:

MathUSee Alpha
Math games at abcya.com
Math printables from Pinterest (graphing/charting, math fact dice game, math fact coloring sheets, math fact flashcard games)

Phonics workbook from Dollar Tree
Harcourt Decodable Readers (can find free printable ones online)
Checking out books from Library
First Language Lessons for Language Arts

Bible Stories book for History.
Purchased Story of the World but DD is not interested so we will save it for another school year.

God's Design for Heaven and Earth for Science.

You Can Draw for art.
Plus I keep art supplies always on hand for the kids to be able to color, draw, paint, etc whenever they want.

Abcya.com and Starfall more ($30/yr) are favorite websites of ours. Starfall has an app also.

We also have a bunch of educational songs /video playlists on YouTube I play often.

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:56 PM
All about reading is a great curriculum - I'm planning on using it next year with DS. It's $150, I think. Math mammoth is a cheap math curriculum.
kingsdaughte121
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:11 PM
That's great. I love the breakdown and how you implemented the bible for history and science. That is such a great idea. We actually used a few phonics books from dollar tree for kindergarten and they worked great! That's the great thing about homeschool you are able to create the curriculum and also the pace.. we were doing an online public school but just two weeks in I already knew that it was not going to work out.. Thank u so much for the info this helped so much!

Quoting Jennanonymous: I am homeschooling first grade and prek. I try to stay up to date with current standards and use those to write up a Goals list for each child for each subject. I have a variety of materials and curriculum I am using for 1st grade:

MathUSee Alpha
Math games at abcya.com
Math printables from Pinterest (graphing/charting, math fact dice game, math fact coloring sheets, math fact flashcard games)

Phonics workbook from Dollar Tree
Harcourt Decodable Readers (can find free printable ones online)
Checking out books from Library
First Language Lessons for Language Arts

Bible Stories book for History.
Purchased Story of the World but DD is not interested so we will save it for another school year.

God's Design for Heaven and Earth for Science.

You Can Draw for art.
Plus I keep art supplies always on hand for the kids to be able to color, draw, paint, etc whenever they want.

Abcya.com and Starfall more ($30/yr) are favorite websites of ours. Starfall has an app also.

We also have a bunch of educational songs /video playlists on YouTube I play often.

kingsdaughte121
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Thank u so much for the info! I will check both of them out

Quoting collinsmommy0: All about reading is a great curriculum - I'm planning on using it next year with DS. It's $150, I think. Math mammoth is a cheap math curriculum.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)