Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh shouldn't you be in school?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:22 AM
  • 20 Replies
How many times has your child been asked this when he is out and about with you by other Adults. During school hours when my son and I are out this is the common question.. And when I reply, My son is homeschooled you get the gasp, or some will flat out ask me why? This is our first year homeschooling. My son is in the first grade. Even when we go to the Library to work on some of his work, I get the stares .. Any advice?? How do you respond?
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NannyShari
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:23 AM

I use to get wonderful comments..."Good for you" or "That is great"...I never got the "Shouldn't you be in school". I also made sure not to be offended when the rare negative comment or question. Smiling and staying positive helps too, also teaching our children to behave in public (which I know we all do).

When asked this question, my answer would be: "We are in school, we are learning math,or whatever."  

coala
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM

I've only been asked a few times.  When I reply with "they are homeschooled" I get great comments like "that's amazing", "how does it work", and "I wish I could do that".

Because we homeschool.....my kids can go and take a skating lesson in the middle of the day with their coach....which we are doing today.  I'm glad that the rink staff knows my kids and sits and talks to them while they are working.....some of the staff try to squeeze in and help them with some of the school work that they with them.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM

The county we live in  and the one next to us is chock full of homeschooler so we never get as why aren't they in school, but, on the occasions when I get the more negative questions on why we homeschool, I've resorted to asking the person if they have really truly looked into the elementary schools around in the area. I don't care if the upper level schools are better, I've started something, so now I must finish it. I also add in that our schedule is so full, that public school doesn't fit into it. 

sleepy_in_va
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:41 AM
We haven't had this question yet seeing as wr haven't started homeschooling yet. Though I have wondered what I would say to someone who asks us that... I know I wonder what some kids are doing during school hours when I see them out and about but then I stop to think maybe they are homeschooled.
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:02 PM
Honestly, I've never been asked that. Oh, maybe once, back when we first started someone might ask if school was out for the day. I told them we homeschooled and that was that. Since we started 10 years ago, homeschooling has gotten so common around here that no one bats an eye.
I live in a fairly small community, and within a 20 mile radius, I could find at least 20 homeschool groups ,co ops, or sports teams for hs kids.

If someone was rude enough to question you about your choices for your child, you really don't owe them a response. It's completely none of their business.
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:03 PM
We have been asked before, but all the follow up responses have been positive. I have been asked about what we do and how and been told how awesome it is we homeschool!
PeppermintyTea
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:05 PM
Only once two women were walking by us, and my son is very friendly so he said hello they greeted him in return, and asked if he had the day off from school he told them he was doing homeschool, and they just said "wow that's pretty cool"... it's not really uncommon in this area.
debramommyof4
by Group Admin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM
I say we homeschool.

If they start being negative then I tell them I am sorry we are busy doing school right now. And turn back to my child.

Mostly I get, good job and wow I can not do that. I say anyone could but it is not for every child, or every parent or every family in general. It is a lot of work.
DisabledVet
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Just ask them why it's their business. I wouldn't even tell them your child is homeschooled, it's none of their business. My kids went to public school but there were times they were out because of a medical appointment or other reason and when we were asked I usually said, Exactly why is this any of your business? My child is accomplied by an aduld, so your question is unwarrented and the reason he/she is out, is none of your business.

kajira
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:15 PM

I've heard that a couple times, and I just tell them we homeschool and if they keep asking questions, we leave or tell them we are doing something as a family and they are intruding on our space.

Normally, the replies are really positive, the only people I've really had an issue point out "what about social activities" and then I point out "were in public, talking to people.... or at least people are talking to us." And that tends to get the point across. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)