Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

American History Recommendations?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:20 AM
  • 2 Replies
My ds is 10 and in fourth grade. He just finished reading an early American history curriculum for school and it has lit a fire under him about American history. He wants more books like the one we had. It was a 3-5 grade textbook broken up into a small lesson each day.
We end to the library yesterday, and he picked out a couple books to read..but he is really asking for another textbook style book.
I need any and all recommendations. His reading level is relatively high...the last two chapter books he read were marked from 5-12grade and 8-12 grade.
He made his Christmas list the other day and it was very short...he put a few typical things on there...but then it said 'a lot of history books'
This is the first time he has ever really gotten into a subject in school like this. I would really like to deliver this request without squashing his budding desire to learn.
Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. :)
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:46 AM
The History of US is great. My son loves it.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 3, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Here are a few sites you may want to check out...

http://www.teachingkidsbooks.com/5th-6th-grade/early-u-s-history

http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/americanhistory.htm

http://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/booklists/?id=nativeamericanfictiongrade4

» America’s Paul Revere, Esther Hoskins Forbes | Age Level: 8+ | Grade Level: 4th+

» Amos Fortune (Newbery Library, Puffin), Free Man | Age Level: 8+ | Grade Level: 3rd+

» The Landing of the Pilgrims (Landmark Books), James Daugherty | Age Level: 10+ | Grade Level: 5th+

» The Signers: The 56 Stories Behind the Declaration of Independence, Dennis Brindell Fradin | Age Level: 10+ | Grade Level: 5th+

» A Young Patriot: The American Revolution as Experienced by One Boy, Jim Murphy | Age Level: 8+ | Grade Level: 4th+

» The Story of the Thirteen Colonies (Landmark Books, 115), Clifford L. Alderman | Unsure of Age

» Life in the American Colonies (Way People Live), Ruth Dean | Age Level: 10+ | Grade Level: 5th+

» We the People: The Story of Our Constitution, Lynne Cheney | Age Level: 8+ | Grade Level: 4th+

» The American Revolution (Landmark Books), Bruce Bliven Jr. | Age Level 10+ | Grade Level: 5th+

» George Washington’s Socks (Time Travel Adventures), Elvira Woodruff | Age Level 9+ | Grade Level: 4th +

» Benjamin Franklin (In Their Own Words), Peter Roop | Age Level: 9+ | Grade Level: 4th+

» Will Northaway and the Fight for Freedom (Young American Patriots), Susan Olasky | Age Level: 9+ | Grade Level: 4th+

» Blood on the River: James Town, 1607, Elisa Carbone | Age Level: 10+ | Grade Level: 4th+

» The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker, Cynthia DeFelice | Age Level: 10+ | Grade Level: 5th+

» Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan, Delaware Valley, Pennsylvania, 1763, Mary Pope Osborne | Age Level: 9+ | Grade Level: 4th+

» The Winter of Red Snow: The Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1777 (Dear America), Kristiana Gregory | Age Level: 9+ | Grade Level: 4th+

» In Their Own Words: Pocahontas, George Sullivan | Age Level: 9+ | Grade Level: 4th+

» The Captain’s Dog: My Journey with the Lewis and Clark Tribe, Roland Smith | Age Level: 10+ | Grade Level: 5th+

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)