Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Programs...

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:43 PM
  • 11 Replies
What programs does everyone suggest for kindergarten? I'm new to homeschooling and feeling a little crazy with all of the info out there. Thank you!
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

K is a fun year (which sadly I didn't get to do.) Personally I wouldn't go with anything specific. Just teach the letters and their sounds, basic math concepts, read lots of books, and add lots of fun hands-on stuff.

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My plan for kinder is all about reading for reading/phonics, and possibly a math program (not sure what I will use yet - both Singapore & Saxon are on my list to research). Also, I recommend handwriting without tears for learning how to write letters. I'm planning on doing the rest by my child's interest (social studies, science, art, music) & possibly getting either green kids craft boxes or magic school bus subs option for science projects.
Bethbeth
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I am teaching K this year. We are using 

All About Reading Level 1 

Horizons Math

Handwriting Without Tears

It depends on your kid though. My kid already knew all her letters, sounds, and basic addition when we started Kindergarten. My next kids, we may have a lot less "curriculum" for Kindergarten because I don't think they will be ready. We'll see though. :)

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I love the Charlotte Mason approach to homeschooling.  Ambleside Online has a wonderful guideline for Kindergarteners.  It was my favorite curriculum.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

For K we did a lot more of hands on projects, but we also loosely followed curriculum (just so I wasn't making it too complicated, so it was more for my own sake lol) 

All About Reading lvl 1, and All About Spelling lvl 1 (only because my little guy was spelling long before he was reading)

Elemental Science Biology

Math U See Alpha

Handwriting Without Tears

See Time Fly History (we did all the books, none of the workbooks, and read a "flight" a day bascially and did hands on projects to go with what we read)

I should also note, I know my little guy was ready for all that. We did more of the "fun" stuff for 2 years, and he was pushing for more. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have done any type of history with him at all aside from reading books, and we only would have done fun science projects instead of following anything at all.  

TeeterTotter
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
We get craft, recipe and music ideas from a few resources like Waldorfessentials, Earthschooling and Little Acorn Learning.

For kindy this year I'm teaching the alphabet and math basics using Fairy Mail and The Gnomes Gemstones pdfs by Jennifer Compton on Etsy.

We also do nature study using the Handbook of Nature Study and the challenges on the related blog.

For handwriting practice we're using the A to Z magnatab.
TeeterTotter
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
We plan on starting the Ambleside path once we hit first. I can't wait :)

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I love the Charlotte Mason approach to homeschooling.  Ambleside Online has a wonderful guideline for Kindergarteners.  It was my favorite curriculum.

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Oct. 31, 2015 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My first suggestion is...BREATH :-). And sorry this will be long...more info, I know, but I hope it's helpful.

You don't have to get all your curriculum at once (unless you want to get an all-in-one program).  Our first year we gradually a curriculum.  There's no rush in KG. 

I really liked All About Spelling.  Super easy.  Explains the why not just rote memorization, and it's sort of an open, skim, and go program.  Very little set up.  I wanted to try their reading program (All About Reading) cause it looked really good, but we couldn't afford it at the time.    We used Bob Books and later Progressive Phonics (a free reading program I really like cause it also explains reasoning and gradually builds up, and you read part of it to your child and the child reads part of it.

We weren't going to use a handwriting program...just workbooks we had...but I figured out that the ball and stick manuscript lettering that is in most workbooks was causing some problems with my son.  I looked at Handwriting Without Tears and really liked how it formed and presented the letters.  I ended up using another program by a seller on Teachers Pay Teachers that used the HWT style letters but had the KG style lines we'd been using already.  Plus it was cheaper.

We started using Math U See half way through the year for math.  I really liked how it explained place value, which indirectly helped my son break through some problems with counting he was having.  I like how it uses the blocks to teach.  But it's not an "open and do" program...it's a teach you how to teach it program and I found I had to read and re-read everything a lot and do planning and prep to sort of memorize how I was going to present it. 

We have used the videos at http://foreignlanguagesforkids.com/ for Spanish which I wanted to teach early cause I've read it's easier to pick up that way....unfortunately, it's a bit pricey, but it's really done well. 

Figuring out what's important to you, how you teach, how your child learns, takes time.  That's why I suggested going slowly and gradually adding curriculum.

Unit studies (which incorporate different subucts around one topic, or one subject shorter topcial Studies (which some call unit studies too) can be a good way to sort of stick your toe in without committing to anything long term while you figure out what you're doing.  They work great for Science cuase you don't really have to go in a particular order with that. 

We didn't do history in KG, save for a little bit on the Pilgrims.  This year I'm doing Story of the World which I love because of how engaing it is, but have been noticing some errors though (easy to work around, but not something I'd hoped to find).  It has longer text which would be hard for a Kindergartener to sit through unless they were a bit precosious with their attention span (mine isn't...even at 1st grade I break it up).  But the writing is aimed at the younger kids (simple vocabulary, lots of questions interlaced in the text.  I'm liking that a lot.)

I tried to give you details cause they're helpful...but the truth is, ANY curriculum will get you started.  And you'll know after working through one whether what you are look for next.  And you have time to take things slow and figure things out...let yourself learn while they learn. 

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2015 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Kindergarten is easy to do on your own. Kids that age are so eager to learn. Nature walks, crafts, field trips and lots of library books are all you need.
coala
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2015 at 8:02 PM

We actually followed the full ABeka K5 program.

It worked really well for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)