Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Texas mom wanting to homeschool. I need help!!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:25 AM
  • 16 Replies

Hi all, I am looking to homeschool my kids. I don't agree with the learning methods at school and I also dont like the influneces children now face. How do you start? Do you have to update the state on how your children are learning? best websites to gather material? I need any help at all. I'm hoping to start by next school year so I can have them home.

Thank you so much!

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:28 AM

I replied to your intro, but now that I know you are in Texas, I just want to say I'm jealous!!  You have one of the easiest states in which to homeschool.  The laws are VERY relaxed, so just find out your children's learning style and the methods (or methods) that you think will best work with your family.

I also suggest that if your kids are in public school right now that you deschool for at least 1 month for every year of public school that they have attended.

missdiane
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I'll have to read the Texas law again. Learning methods? They've been in school so long that I feel that I need to be on the same page as the way they learn at public school. What do you mean deschool?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I replied to your intro, but now that I know you are in Texas, I just want to say I'm jealous!!  You have one of the easiest states in which to homeschool.  The laws are VERY relaxed, so just find out your children's learning style and the methods (or methods) that you think will best work with your family.

I also suggest that if your kids are in public school right now that you deschool for at least 1 month for every year of public school that they have attended.

bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

To deschool is to take a total break from all school work.  Just relax and enjoy some freedom for a while.  Take the time to research how you want to teach, how they best learn, what they enjoy doing and would do whether they were told to or not.  When I deschooled the boys, we went to museums, I read them loads of books, we watched some documentaries, and we talked.  I found out what theyr were passionate about and centered our learning to those things.

Quoting missdiane:

I'll have to read the Texas law again. Learning methods? They've been in school so long that I feel that I need to be on the same page as the way they learn at public school. What do you mean deschool?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

missdiane
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM

ok so maybe a good 4 to 5 months? I'm getting as much info as I can. I have a church friend who was homeschooled herself and is going to homeschool her kids. She has sent me to a few links on info I'm going to read asap. I'm pulling as many websites I can so I make sure I'm making the best decision before pulling my kids out of school. When you homeschool do you basically get to pick whatever you want to teach your children?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

To deschool is to take a total break from all school work.  Just relax and enjoy some freedom for a while.  Take the time to research how you want to teach, how they best learn, what they enjoy doing and would do whether they were told to or not.  When I deschooled the boys, we went to museums, I read them loads of books, we watched some documentaries, and we talked.  I found out what theyr were passionate about and centered our learning to those things.

Quoting missdiane:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on Nov. 16, 2015 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, that sounds about right.

In my state the law is that I have to cover certain subjects, but I can choose what to teach within thos subjects and I can choose the methods I use to teach them.  It's also a law in my state that the subjects must be taught in English and that I need to keep a booklist and portfolio of what I'm teaching.  But I know that Texas doesn't require the booklist or the portfolio.  So I believe you have much more freedom in "the what" that you teach than I.

Quoting missdiane:

ok so maybe a good 4 to 5 months? I'm getting as much info as I can. I have a church friend who was homeschooled herself and is going to homeschool her kids. She has sent me to a few links on info I'm going to read asap. I'm pulling as many websites I can so I make sure I'm making the best decision before pulling my kids out of school. When you homeschool do you basically get to pick whatever you want to teach your children?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting missdiane:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

luckyinlife
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Welcome! You live in the easiest state to homeschooled in, so I am also jealous. DH won't consider moving, lol. As far as what to do, don't worry about recreating school at home. That defeats the purpose of homeschooling! Just enjoy your kids for a bit, go on field trips meet local homeschoolers and let your kids help you create the learning environment they want. Most of all have fun!
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
In Texas, you simply withdraw your kids, then that's it. The only requirement is to teach math, reading, and good citizenship in a bona fide manner. You report to no one, and you're not required to test or meet a minimum number of hours. Honestly, I'd pull them out now and spend a few months getting to know your children again. You can start school whenever you want, you dont have to wait till the school calendar says. Our school year starts in february. Find out what they're passionate about, what they enjoy, and how they learn best. Then get Cathy Duffy's book 101 Top Homeschool Picks. She discusses learning styles and which curriculum would match that. But don't feel locked into that choice. Homeschooling is about freedom and flexibility.
rpowers12
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Well here in Ohio the process is as follows...you write your letter of intent and submit and you can withdrawl your child in the same day. The letter of intent can be found by researching it into google or facebook the homeschooling groups most have them in their resources. I have mine printed so I cant give you the link. Then you gather materials while you give your children a brief refresh period to reprogram their brain and yours. You can go to a schooling store and buy workbooks, whole curriculums or just pieces of materials. You can also google the standards of each grade and just pull worksheets from the internet and print them. Then you also need to find a teacher to sign your portfolio each year to submit with your letter of intent for the following year. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer you in private message or even give my private number to for texting. I will give your my story. We started in a brick and mortor school for my oldest in kindergarten and I hated it (way too many BAD situations on the school part) so I found K12 which was a public school on the computer and I thought I could do this type of "homeschooling" and we enrolled and I kept her there until 6th grade also enrolling 2 more students. Then my middle child began having severe learning problems and they didnt want to help at all, they also began controlling when you could log and how often and what and I wasnt happy with curriculums so unhappy I began being miserable about schooling and fought daily with my kids. The online schooling ruined my love for schooling my children but I was terrified of this traditional homeschooling thing. So I got on facebook and on here and within 6 hours of talking to a few people I made up my mind and i sent emails to all my kids teachers on their christmas break that evening pulling them from online schooling. We havent looked back and I am so loving it!

missdiane
by on Nov. 17, 2015 at 8:13 AM

I'm glad you put it this way. I already feel like we have to meet a certain quota and we havent even started! both of my girls are very smart in school and dont have problems but I have this need in my heart to take them out before the end of this school year.

Quoting luckyinlife: Welcome! You live in the easiest state to homeschooled in, so I am also jealous. DH won't consider moving, lol. As far as what to do, don't worry about recreating school at home. That defeats the purpose of homeschooling! Just enjoy your kids for a bit, go on field trips meet local homeschoolers and let your kids help you create the learning environment they want. Most of all have fun!

missdiane
by on Nov. 17, 2015 at 8:18 AM

I went to easy peasy online. My friend sent me to the link. I showed my girls yesterday and my youngest did day 1 (sister sat along with her) she loved it so much. I also like that it takes you into a new lesson if you choose to learn about the Bible. That is my main goal on this. Thank you for replying

Quoting Leissaintexas: In Texas, you simply withdraw your kids, then that's it. The only requirement is to teach math, reading, and good citizenship in a bona fide manner. You report to no one, and you're not required to test or meet a minimum number of hours. Honestly, I'd pull them out now and spend a few months getting to know your children again. You can start school whenever you want, you dont have to wait till the school calendar says. Our school year starts in february. Find out what they're passionate about, what they enjoy, and how they learn best. Then get Cathy Duffy's book 101 Top Homeschool Picks. She discusses learning styles and which curriculum would match that. But don't feel locked into that choice. Homeschooling is about freedom and flexibility.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)