Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! Introduce Yourself Here ...

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM
  • 160 Replies

welcome     
Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! 

We are delighted you have decided to join our little group.  ūüíĖ 

This is a place where you can come and get tips and advice or use any of the resources posted. We talk about everything from homeschooling to crafts and projects to recipes and home decor and more.

So come and relax, join any of one of the conversations going.  Or, feel free to start a conversation of your own. We love to chat.  ‚ėļÔłŹ
teacher

Here are some questions to get you started (feel free to cut & paste below to answer):

• What drew you to homeschooling?   
  • How long have you been homeschooling? 
  • How many kids do you have? How many are homeschooling? 
  • What type of homeschooling do you do? What's on your mind today?

We hope that you will enjoy your time on the Homeschooling Moms group!

Sonja 

Here are some helpful links:

by on Jan. 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mariposababy581
by on Jan. 24, 2016 at 4:07 AM
2 moms liked this

What drew you to homeschooling? I was very apprehensive about sending my oldest daughter to middle school. So much goes wrong in that stage. I wanted a better curriculum for them and a Christian curriculum.
 How long have you been homeschooling?  This is my first year.
How many kids do you have? 2 girls 11 & 8
How many are homeschooling?  Both girls
What type of homeschooling do you do? Under an umbrella school with Abeka curriculum.
And last but not least,  What's on your mind Today?  Not much just wanted to meet other homeschooling moms :)

MandiVG
by Member on Jan. 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM
3 moms liked this

I am a mom of two, a two year old daughter and a newborn son. I was home schooled as a kid and I feel that it gave me a superior education. I also think my daughter will be bored out of her mind in public school. So, I am really trying to figure out how to do the whole homeschool thing when she reaches that age. I work full time, so it will take some creativity.

Shaunee_Gcuacha
by on Feb. 4, 2016 at 8:06 PM
2 moms liked this
What drew you to homeschooling?
I am a former teacher. The moment I gave birth to my first son I knew that I would never send him to school. I don't think the school systems are capable of teaching boys.
How long have you been homeschooling?
This is my first year of technically homeschooling with a board.
How many kids do you have? How many are homeschooling?
I have two sons three and six. Right now I'm just homeschooling the six-year-old.
What type of homeschooling do you do?
Right now we're doing Charlotte Mason/classical homeschooling. For the most part I like to do student let homeschooling.
GoHawks
by on Feb. 4, 2016 at 10:21 PM
4 moms liked this
  1. What drew you to homeschooling?   
    Many reasons to be honest. First and foremost public school systems suck... 
  2.  How long have you been homeschooling? 
    A few weeks now 
  3.  How many kids do you have? How many are homeschooling? 
    3, right now just my oldest DD13. By the start of next school year all 3 will probably be home schooled 
  4.  What type of homeschooling do you do? 
    While waiting on K12 I am unschooling her 
  5.  And last but not least,  What's on your mind Today?
    "Is it bed time yet" lol 
Dungonecrazy
by on Feb. 5, 2016 at 4:03 PM
3 moms liked this
Hello all! Thanks for welcoming me to the group!

About me and my kids, I currently have 3 kids, and one on the way (due March). My older 2 are in the public school system here, which is a wonderful public school to be honest, but my husband and I have decided that for our current youngest, 5 year old girl, public school is not for her. We know her personality type, we understand (somewhat) how she reacts to learning, and it would just not be a good fit for her. We would like to continue home schooling with our child we are expecting as well.

We haven't really set a structure or chosen a curriculum for our needs yet, but I'm hoping with joining a home school community, I can gather ideas, and gain advice. This will be completely new for myself, my husband and our daughter. A challenge I know I personally will face, getting out of the public school system mind set. My oldest is 4th grade, so I have years of experience there, but not much with home schooling.

How am I today? Feeling overwhelmed lol. Just finding a place to start, preparing for a new baby, and balancing housework.
Mariposababy581
by on Feb. 7, 2016 at 7:52 AM
Quoting Dungonecrazy: Hello all! Thanks for welcoming me to the group!

About me and my kids, I currently have 3 kids, and one on the way (due March). My older 2 are in the public school system here, which is a wonderful public school to be honest, but my husband and I have decided that for our current youngest, 5 year old girl, public school is not for her. We know her personality type, we understand (somewhat) how she reacts to learning, and it would just not be a good fit for her. We would like to continue home schooling with our child we are expecting as well.

We haven't really set a structure or chosen a curriculum for our needs yet, but I'm hoping with joining a home school community, I can gather ideas, and gain advice. This will be completely new for myself, my husband and our daughter. A challenge I know I personally will face, getting out of the public school system mind set. My oldest is 4th grade, so I have years of experience there, but not much with home schooling.

How am I today? Feeling overwhelmed lol. Just finding a place to start, preparing for a new baby, and balancing housework.

Congrats on the new baby coming soon! I found that for me not to feel crazy overwhelmed by trying to figure it out all, I use an umbrella school and curriculum. So the curriculum is all planned out for my daughters and I send out the required tests so they can keep records. Maybe with a new addition to your family you may want to use something like that. Of course the other way of unschooling and not having a structure may work great for you too if you don't want to be on a structured system. Every family is different and have their own style. I would recommend you join a homeschool association in your area and go to some park play dates. The parents all share their styles and can give feedback on different curriculum and materials. Also helps they organize field trips at a group rate and kids love the getting out of the house and hanging out with other kids. Best of luck to you and your family!
Mariposababy581
by on Feb. 7, 2016 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting GoHawks:
  1. What drew you to homeschooling?   Many reasons to be honest. First and foremost public school systems suck... 
  2.  How long have you been homeschooling? A few weeks now 
  3.  How many kids do you have? How many are homeschooling? 3, right now just my oldest DD13. By the start of next school year all 3 will probably be home schooled 
  4.  What type of homeschooling do you do? While waiting on K12 I am unschooling her 
  5.  And last but not least,  What's on your mind Today?"Is it bed time yet" lol 

Lol you're going to ask is it bedtime a lot more than ever now lol. Netflix has great animal documentaries, the Science guy and different types of documentaries on varying subjects. Might be good to have them pick out a few and write a simple report on what they learned. Helps keep them busy, learning and you have some material to prove they've been learning while you wait on k12. But really cause you will need to have a break so sitting them down to watch those is like watching a documentary at school. I added a ton to my list and my girls will pick one out and watch it. They loved the one on the tiger cubs it has a few episodes and they loved it. They watched it all in one day and had tons of stuff to share on it. Printable work sheets available online on different subjects or workbooks at Dollar store. That's what we did while we got ourselves up and going. Best of luck to you and your family!
Dungonecrazy
by on Feb. 11, 2016 at 12:26 PM
I think the overwhelming factor just comes from being hormonal, but also just the wealth of information on homeschooling, and the vast number of curriculum available, and narrowing down what is right for us. For the time being we are just taking time learning my daughters learning style, what works for her, and how she'll comprehend material. Unfortunately there isn't a large homeschooling community where we are, there aren't any co-ops or anything. Where we are the homeschooling is just family by family, no real community.

Quoting Mariposababy581:
Quoting Dungonecrazy: Hello all! Thanks for welcoming me to the group!

Congrats on the new baby coming soon! I found that for me not to feel crazy overwhelmed by trying to figure it out all, I use an umbrella school and curriculum. So the curriculum is all planned out for my daughters and I send out the required tests so they can keep records. Maybe with a new addition to your family you may want to use something like that. Of course the other way of unschooling and not having a structure may work great for you too if you don't want to be on a structured system. Every family is different and have their own style. I would recommend you join a homeschool association in your area and go to some park play dates. The parents all share their styles and can give feedback on different curriculum and materials. Also helps they organize field trips at a group rate and kids love the getting out of the house and hanging out with other kids. Best of luck to you and your family!
Mariposababy581
by on Feb. 12, 2016 at 11:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting kirbymom:

welcome          Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! 

We are delighted you have decided to join our little group. ¬†ūüíĖ¬†

This is a place where you can come and get tips and advice or use any of the resources posted. We talk about everything from homeschooling to crafts and projects to recipes and home decor and more.

¬†So come and relax, join any of one of the conversations going. ¬†Or, feel free to start a conversation of your own. We love to chat. ¬†‚ėļÔłŹ

teacher

Here are some questions to get you started (feel free to cut & paste below to answer):

1.  What drew you to homeschooling?   
  2.  How long have you been homeschooling? 
  3.  How many kids do you have? How many are homeschooling? 
  4.  What type of homeschooling do you do? What's on your mind today?
  5.  And last but not least,  What's on your mind Today?  

After you've replied here, say hello to the other moms who've replied! 

"Quote"  their replies so they know you're talking to them. You can  "Like"  their replies as well.

Enjoy your time on Homeschooling Moms & CafeMom!

hugs     Sonja 

Here are some helpful links:

Then as long as you know what your state requires that you meet you will do great! Enjoy having them at home! ‚ô°
PinkBeauty001
by on Feb. 20, 2016 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this
What drew you to homeschooling?
The school wanted me to put my son on meds and have him labeled as ADD so that they could take him out of the general classroom with the normal kids and put him in a class with other kids like him! He is depressed and feels like he cant do anything that the rest of the kids are doing in his class. The bulling got so bad that he was pushed down and fractored his elbow! We are done with the public school system...

How long have you been homeschooling? We homeschooled before when my oldest was in 3rd grade he was having behavor problems and I was getting called to pick him almost everyday. But when he was getting ready for middle schooln he wanted to go back to public school for band and football. So we also put out Kinder in PS now he is in 4th and our oldest in 9th. (Our oldest doesnt live with us anymore, so he will stay in PS...)

How many kids do you have? 4 How many of them are homeschooling? Just our youngest will be HSing because the other kids live with their other parents

What type of homeschooling do you do? We have decided to go with Easy Peasy Online

What is on your mind today? Excited about being part of the homeschooling family again and looking to meet some new friends <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)