Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Mama

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 5:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi, I am new here.

My name is Jen and I am a homeschooling mama living in NYC with my husband and our two daughters. Madi is 7 and Ava is 5.

Looking forward to interacting with more homeschooling mamas.

by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Welcome to the group!   (You've stumbled on a good one...I always get great answers to my questions here).

Jen.82
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:44 PM
Thanks.

Do you homeschool?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Welcome to the group!   (You've stumbled on a good one...I always get great answers to my questions here).

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Yes, I homeschool the youngest of my three boys (age 7).  My older two go to public school, though my middle child is considering trying homeschooling next year. 

Quoting Jen.82: Thanks. Do you homeschool?
Quoting Scribbleprints:

Jen.82
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:14 PM
Do you mind me asking the reason behind homeschooling only one of your kids?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Yes, I homeschool the youngest of my three boys (age 7).  My older two go to public school, though my middle child is considering trying homeschooling next year. 

Quoting Jen.82: Thanks.

Do you homeschool?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jan. 23, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Sure.  I really never considered homeschooling with my older kids.  I always thought homescooling would be isolating (just couldn't picture myself being happy doing it).   I missed my work after choosing to stay home after my second was born, 19 months after my first (for financial reasons...my job didn't pay more than childcare for both).    I wanted to work outside the home once all my kids were grown.   Plus, my youngest was born right before my oldest started Kindergarten...so I was looking forward to some quiet time with my two youngest (my oldest has a really dynamic, extroverted loud personality...and honestly him going to school and getting out that energy with his classmates brought some sanity to our home). 

Our schools were good and my kids seemed to be thriving there.  But I always thought if that wasn't the case...if there was some reason my kids needed it, I'd suck it up and homeschool.

Then my third went off to Kindergarten...and after the first week, until the very end of that first year, cried every day before school.  In spite of seeming to genuinly like his teacher, he hated school.  He had not shown the same interest that my older kids had in letters and writing and reading, but he had at least been drawing pictures and attempting letters with a little prodding at home.  At school, for the first few months all he would do was scribble.  He progressed at a snails pace.  The teacher started bringing us in for conferences about his progress.

After trying all sorts of things to help him and getting no where (he was so burnt out after school trying to do "extra" work to catch him up was futile), towards the end of the year I knew he'd be asked to repeat (they did suggest it...though said it was our choice).  I knew this wasn't working so I started looking into private schools...which were both too expensive, and seemed to be even more academic pressure than public schools.  I knew he needed something gentle, playful, and at his own pace...because the main problem wasn't "catching up" but not having any motivation to try, and hating everything to do with school or learning.

So, that left homeschool.  It has gone wonderfully.  We haven't caught up, but we've progressed at about the same rate he would have if he had repeated (and then progressed normally for his grade).  And without the tears.    His attitude towards school has changed dramatically. 

And I, surprisingly, I enjoy it.  I don't feel isolated.  It feels purposeful, and I enjoy it just as much as I did working outside the home.

Quoting Jen.82: Do you mind me asking the reason behind homeschooling only one of your kids?
Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting Jen.82: Thanks. Do you homeschool?
Quoting Scribbleprints:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)