Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tired of arguing.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:03 PM
  • 15 Replies
Good evening ladies. I have a problem. My son Thailee, hates online learning. We were doing Time4learning and he dislikes it. Every day we would argue about it, so finally we quit. I ordered him Spectrum Language Arts Grade 8, but it isn't coming in until Thursday. I have other books for him for Geography, US History, Math, I have a ton of worksheets for Health. He hates writing but he rather write than do Time4learning. I know I should teach him to deal with it. I just feel like that is one of the great things about homeschooling is that curriculum can be tweaked for the best interest of the child. So the question I have is what to do as far as learning until the book comes in? In RI we have an attendance law, and I don't want to miss days, and I feel reading, writing and math are our core subjects to make me feel that we did homeschool for the day. Well I'm going to bed, thanks for the advice, goodnight.
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 12:49 AM

I'm not a huge T4L fan, so take what I say with that in mind. I view it as a supplement only and don't really consider it comprehensive enough to be the entirety of a child's education.

What do you plan to do WITH the books? Do you teach him or just hand him the books and worksheets? Most children wouldn't respond well to that approach. Do you actively teach the material in an engaging way? Reconsider the way you're approaching the work before handing it off to your child.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Group Admin on Feb. 1, 2016 at 12:52 AM
You can print free stuff till it gets in. It will allow you to wait and still meet your attendance laws.
Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 1:32 AM
We just set up blogs for the kids through edublogs.org The kids are to write about their history research (but it could be for anything) and are supposed to pay attention to grammar, spelling and punctuation. For us it's tying their history, writing and typing all together. Maybe that would be an option for him?
fallingurrl
by on Feb. 1, 2016 at 1:35 AM
Maybe homeschooling isn't for him? If you're looking out for your child's interest, ask him if he's interested in public school.
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 7:24 AM
Good morning, I plan on teaching him from the books then practice with worksheets to make sure he understands it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not a huge T4L fan, so take what I say with that in mind. I view it as a supplement only and don't really consider it comprehensive enough to be the entirety of a child's education.

What do you plan to do WITH the books? Do you teach him or just hand him the books and worksheets? Most children wouldn't respond well to that approach. Do you actively teach the material in an engaging way? Reconsider the way you're approaching the work before handing it off to your child.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 7:27 AM
I asked him, he says that he doesn't want to go back to school. He just dislikes Time4learning.

Quoting fallingurrl: Maybe homeschooling isn't for him? If you're looking out for your child's interest, ask him if he's interested in public school.
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 7:28 AM
I am thinking about doing lapbooks on subjects he's interested in.

Quoting debramommyof4: You can print free stuff till it gets in. It will allow you to wait and still meet your attendance laws.
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 7:30 AM
I'll talk to him about it.

Quoting Pukalani79: We just set up blogs for the kids through edublogs.org The kids are to write about their history research (but it could be for anything) and are supposed to pay attention to grammar, spelling and punctuation. For us it's tying their history, writing and typing all together. Maybe that would be an option for him?
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:06 AM
Read real books. Isn't Jr high languages arts primarily literature and writing? Use a Charlotte Mason approach. That covers lit, history, and even science. Note booking can cover the handwriting and creative writing and grammar.
debramommyof4
by Group Admin on Feb. 1, 2016 at 10:05 AM
That may work. It depends on him. I have 4 kids 3 like lapbooks. 1 absolutely despises them.

Quoting Mommynay2: I am thinking about doing lapbooks on subjects he's interested in.

Quoting debramommyof4: You can print free stuff till it gets in. It will allow you to wait and still meet your attendance laws.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)