Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing curriculum mid-year?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM
  • 3 Replies
We started homeschooling in October after a rough start in public school. I've decided the curriculum we have been following for DS in Phonics/Language Arts isn't challenging enough. I would like to change to something more challenging or move up to the next level. If You have changed your kids mid-year, was it hard to switch? Did you finish the entire curricula in the year? I know he's not getting anything out of what we are doing now and we are just wasting time.
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM
I have changed mid year several times. I always use Christmas break to assess how we are doing and what, if anything needs to change. This year was one of those years and the kids have really responded well to it
bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:33 PM

I have changed curric mid-year.  If things aren't working, we stop and re-assess.  Sometimes the change is bumpy (changing from Houghton Math to Math U See) and sometimes it's easy-peasy (changing from Math U See to Life of Fred).  It seems that if you move from something that's not working to something else that doesn't quite line up, it'll be hard.  If you move from something that isn't working to something that feels natural to your family then it's easy.

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2016 at 12:13 PM
There's no reason to stick with something that's not working. Changing mid year is pretty much just one of those things to expect the first year or two. Normally I'd suggest just tweaking it to fit, but if its just not the right level, obviously that won't work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)