Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandson Is Back In Public School-So Far He is Doing Good

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:03 PM
  • 7 Replies
3 moms liked this

grandmaJust wanted to get on here and give everyone an update on how my grandson is doing since he is back in the public school system. Back is August of last year, I decided to homeschool my grandson because he was having too much trouble in the public school system. Plus they had cut his school hours back to 4 hours a day until he was able to handle all day school. Once they did ths I figure enough was enough and I took him out for a while. During those months of homeschooling my grandson, I learned a lot about him and he learned a lot about me.  He did not have distractions like he would at school and his grades where excellent. He had better grades being homeschool than he did in the public schools.

Most classes are about 45 to 30 minutes long. I did 1hr with each period with my grandson to train him to sit longer and to focus.  Most of the classes he was done with before an hour was up and depending on how much time was left within that hour, I would have him to start another lesson. Once the clock went off, he would get a 20 to 30 minute break in between each hour. If he had to do Math or History that usually last an whole hour, I would give him a 30 minute break or longer. By me doing this, he is now able to sit in a regular class room for 45 minutes without getting restless. I guess alot of you are wondering if he was doing so good in homeschool why did I put him back in public school?

Well, we are living off of one income right now and I need to go back to work to bring in sone extra money in the house. I could not do this when I was homeschooling my grandson. When I do go back to work it will still have to be based around my grandson school hours. My husband work second shift, so he could watch our grandson until 2pm. I would have to get a job where I can only work 3 or 4 days a week and make sure I am home in time so my husband can leave for work. Well I think I will stop here for right now. Did not mean to be so long winded. Just wanted to give everyone an update on my grandson. Thanks for listening:)

by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MandiVG
by Member on Feb. 7, 2016 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

glad to hear he is doing well. Best of luck to your family.

Dardenella
by on Feb. 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM

I am glad this worked for you but I am wondering about the thirty minute break between classes/sitting.  Most schools are hardlyy ok with recess once a day let alone a break of 30 minutes after every hour.

I do believ that our children need the breaks just as adults do.  Adults who work get a 15 minute twicw a day and lunch but our kids are restricted even during lunch.

bascha
by on Feb. 11, 2016 at 1:00 AM
So happy for you! Congratulations on a job well done, and a hug and a hi five to all three of you! :)
BmoreRavens
by on Feb. 11, 2016 at 2:59 AM

hotspice58
by on Feb. 11, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Nice!!  Does your grandson have an IEP? 

cupcake2819
by on Feb. 11, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Good for your efforts!  I hope the break really helped and he continues to do well!

DisabledVet
by on Feb. 12, 2016 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it interesting that so many children have such a hard time with school.  Maybe we're pushing them into school before they're ready or maybe we're screwing up their brains with all the electronic gadgets that shorten their attention spans. We know that children who watch too much TV have shortened attention spans because the TV trains us.  When I was growing up the average advertisement's length was one minute. As the years passed, the average length shrank to 30 seconds (and sometimes 10 seconds), but more advertisements are now shown during the break. I belive this trains kids who watch a lot of tv to have shorter attention spans.  Back then TV's weren't on all day for kids.  We were thrown outside to play.  In fact most of us had only a few hours of TV watching. 

In the 1960s a typical hour-long American show would run for 51 minutes excluding advertisements. Today, a similar program would only be 42 minutes long; a typical 30-minute block of time now includes 22 minutes of programming and eight minutes of advertisements - six minutes for national advertising and two minutes for local.  Is "free" TV really free?

A television broadcast of the 101-minute film The Wizard of Oz (1939) for instance, would, in the early to mid-1960s, take two hours even with advertisements. Today, a telecast of the same film would last approximately two hours and 15 minutes including advertisements. Because of this, it is common practice to edit films to fit within the time allotted.  Advertisements take up larger and larger chunks of each program.  It's not unusual for Americans to spend 10 hours watching TV.  American viewers are shown approximately three hours of advertisements, 2 times what they would have seen in the 1960s. Did you know that If you're watching a 1960s show today, the content may be edited by nine minutes to make room for the extra advertisements.No wonder our kids have attention problems.  We're training them to develope shorter and shorter attention spans. Maybe not all kids develop ADD when exposed to games and TV, but how many do? 

We didn't allow our kids to watch a lot of TV or let them play with electronical toys.  We encouraged our parents to give the kids toys they'd have to use their imaginations with.  Thankfully we didn't have to train our kids to sit still and pay attention. 

I can remember when kids were expected to be kids.  That a bit of rambucktiousism was normal.  I wonder if we had 2 physical aid classes in school, how many kids might not have issues with paying attention? 

You're a wonderful Grandmother for doing what you did for your Grandson. He's very lucky. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)