Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers Grading Parents

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:46 PM
  • 58 Replies

Mississippi House passes bill requiring teachers to grade parents ....

(AP)If a bill passed by the Mississippi House becomes law, students won’t be the only ones receiving grades from teachers.

Under House Bill 4, also known as the Parent Involvement and Accountability Act, teachers would be required to grade parents’ involvement with their children’s education.

The legislation, by state Rep. Gregory Holloway (D-Hazlehurst), would mandate a section be added to each child’s report card on which the parents are graded on their responsiveness to communication with teachers, the students’ completion of homework and readiness for tests, and the frequency of absences and tardiness.

Mary Clare Reim, research associate on education at the Heritage Foundation, said the bill is the wrong way to encourage more parental involvement.

“My initial reaction is, this is absurd,” Reim said. “The concept that parents should be graded by teachers on their involvement is a reversal of what the education system should look like. Parents should be grading teachers on their performance. Putting grades on parental involvement from the top down is not the way this should work.” 

What is Your opinion? Would you go for this in Your district?  Yes? No?  

Is this the right direction to go in? 

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Wow!!!

My first thought is at what point is a child supposed to become responsible for their education.  That means making sure that their homework is done and they are prepared for tests.  My mom was pretty uninvolved in my schooling except to look over my homework to make sure I had completed it and signing my report cards.

I know that when it comes to homeschooling parents we are very involved in what goes on....but public school parents aren't as much.

debramommyof4
by Group Admin on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM
I always felt that it is crazy that no one seemed as involved as I was when my dd 10 was in kindergarten.

I was that parent that talked to the teacher everyday.

I did not know I was obnoxious, I just wanted to know how she behaved and if she needed to work on anything.
kmeow
by Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:35 PM
4 moms liked this
I think it's pointless. The parents who don't care will continue not to care, and the parents that participate will continue to do so. Now the already overworked teacher has to take the time to grade each parent, and screen a dozen angry phone calls from parents who want to argue about their "grade."
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM
I think it's pointless - the parents that annoy teachers the most are over involved (& would be upset if they didn't score the highest marks themselves)

Also, teachers usually have a code on the students record for parent issues - one school I taught at had letters for kids ('b' - behavior issues, 'M' - high Maintence child, '3' - lower 1/3 of class, etc) and stickers for parents (green - great, involved, red - super annoying & high Maintence). It was done so the classes the following year didn't end up with too many of any of the marked type of students.
Anonomama
by Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 6:52 AM
This seems so asinine. One more pointless thing for teachers to do instead of being able to teach.
dab344
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 11:33 AM

No

i thought the teachers were suppose to be doin all the educating and stuff, parents should be grading them

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Another instance of government overreach. Schools are not the final authority in a child's life, it has no place to judge parents' performance.
Bobcatridge
by Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

After an unsatisfactory experience with both private and public schools, I am homeschooling my daughter.  I think that the teacher grading the parents is inappropriate.  When my daughter was in traditional school the teachers would have no way to know all the stuff I do to help with my daughter's education.  The traditional schools seem to impose a lot of tasks on teachers that inhibit their ability to actually teach the children.  I could just see this practice deteriorating into disaggreements that do nothing to enhance education.  This is not a good idea and one more example of why my child is not going to a traditional school.

hismaiden
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Glad I don't live in Mississippi. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 12, 2016 at 7:06 PM

In your opinion...do you feel this is a positive direction? 

Quoting coala:

Wow!!!

My first thought is at what point is a child supposed to become responsible for their education.  That means making sure that their homework is done and they are prepared for tests.  My mom was pretty uninvolved in my schooling except to look over my homework to make sure I had completed it and signing my report cards.

I know that when it comes to homeschooling parents we are very involved in what goes on....but public school parents aren't as much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)