Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fighting to homeschool

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 9:21 AM
  • 7 Replies
Our family is a combined family. I have to older children who currently are in public school and a 4 year old we have together that we have homeschooled since birth( I have always encouraged early education based on the theory of learning at their pace) my ex has never supported the idea of homeschooling the children. He feels it's giving them their way and they will not have a proper education or socializing. We still get along and agree on most things but school. He has even made comments on how much my little one knows(she is writing her name doing simple addition and some reading.) I told him in July she will start her more formal education( curriculum for for kindergarten, first grade)and I want to consider homeschooling the older two as well. Thus year has been extremely challenging for them. Constantly failing and peer aggression situations ( several times I've had to report issues to the principal. ) he says I am not qualified( finishing my bachelor's for psychology in July he has only highschool education.) So if anyone ho.eschools it would be him ( knowing I would not allow it he thinks he wins them staying in school.) I no longer feel they are safe or thriving in that sschool. What can I do?
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dab344
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

what about trying it out for the summer months? let him see results?

analivrose2012
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:04 AM
I like that idea ty!
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I would check your area for alternative schools - depending on your state, some states have charter schools that you can do part time there (1-3 days a week), then they send home work with the kids for the other days. I live in California & there's a variety of charter schools here that are a compromise between homeschool & public school.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

In general, courts will side with the status quo regarding education. So, if he takes it to court, it isn't likely you will win this. My advice would be to continue homeschooling your youngest and let the results speak for themselves. I wouldn't really recommend homeschooling over the summer either - it's a quick way to burnout for children who are coming from, and back into (after summer), a stressfull full-time brick and mortar school situation. 

You could ask him if he is willing to give it a trial year. Propose to him that you homeschool the older two next year, allow them to participate in standardized testing and supply both the results of those tests and a portfolio to your ex-husband at the end of the school year - but make clear to him that you value his input, it is as much his decision as your (because legally it usually IS as much his decision as yours), and that you can both reevaluate at the end of the next year; if it isn't working, they are back in public school and if it IS working, they can continue to homeschool.

Beyond the legal issues, it is really, really, really ideal to have both parents on board. 

What do the kids think? How old are they?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

analivrose2012
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a charter school that is full right now they just started a year ago. We came from a Catholic school after they closed down 3 years ago. But we did talk today and agreed the summer would not hurt at all. Considering it a victory ty ladies
analivrose2012
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:22 PM
They both want it. My oldest is 15 and is concerned she isn't getting the help she needs and the impact it will have on her future. She feels I can give her more individual time. Her step father works with everyone's homework so they both get one on one atleast at night. My son says he is too stressed causing him no sleep. He was diagnosed with anxiety and we have been working with him. The school is suppose to follow a 504 program for the testing to allow him extra time. They don't. We exempt him from state exams because of the pressure and the teachers have bothered him to not opt out. I even got letters in the mail that I will be taking to the school board. His statement was I want to honeschool so I can move learning again

Quoting AutymsMommy:

In general, courts will side with the status quo regarding education. So, if he takes it to court, it isn't likely you will win this. My advice would be to continue homeschooling your youngest and let the results speak for themselves. I wouldn't really recommend homeschooling over the summer either - it's a quick way to burnout for children who are coming from, and back into (after summer), a stressfull full-time brick and mortar school situation. 

You could ask him if he is willing to give it a trial year. Propose to him that you homeschool the older two next year, allow them to participate in standardized testing and supply both the results of those tests and a portfolio to your ex-husband at the end of the school year - but make clear to him that you value his input, it is as much his decision as your (because legally it usually IS as much his decision as yours), and that you can both reevaluate at the end of the next year; if it isn't working, they are back in public school and if it IS working, they can continue to homeschool.

Beyond the legal issues, it is really, really, really ideal to have both parents on board. 

What do the kids think? How old are they?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 23, 2016 at 7:43 PM
That's great! The summer is a great time to get started. Have you thought about what you want to start with?

Quoting analivrose2012: We have a charter school that is full right now they just started a year ago. We came from a Catholic school after they closed down 3 years ago. But we did talk today and agreed the summer would not hurt at all. Considering it a victory ty ladies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)