Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Next year....unschooling.....

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hey, I know for sure that this has been talked abut a lot, but I'm not sure where to find it.....

Next year I want to try more of an unschooling approach, but maybe not 100%. I do know I want to do a health study and science combo....that means gardening, cooking, and learning about how the body works and how to stay healthy.

I also want to do a study on cultures around the world. I want to add history of a culture, they environment, what they eat and how they live, dress and religion, but I also want to talk about missionaries in those areas (that would add our own personal world view).

We also have math, cursive, music and language arts (has been loose, reading a book of a list I have).

So this doesn't seem very unschooling to me. I have certain things I want to study together, but I would like a more relaxed approach to it. Can anyone give me tips? (Also we are part of a charter, they need work samples and a list of what we did each month).
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Can you take pictures of stuff as they are doing it and put them in a folder for your portfolio?

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:14 PM

I have no answers for you because I have no idea how to succesfully unschool with my own kids. Lol! When they are older I figure I can let them take the lead on choosing what to learn and finding information and all of that but my oldest is only 7 right now. :-) Anyways, I am responding just because your year next year sounds almost exactly like my 7 year old's year next year. :-) For 3rd grade she chose to learn about children around the world and the curriculum includes all of the stuff you talked about. She's also going to learn cursive and if the science books I got bomb out (which they might-lol) I was thinking about having them try to grow a vegetable garden and all of that. :-) Great minds think alike. ;-) Lol!

Precious333
by Julia on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM
Yes, the older kids would have to write on the picture to explain it, but yes I can :)

Quoting coala:

Can you take pictures of stuff as they are doing it and put them in a folder for your portfolio?

Precious333
by Julia on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:28 PM
Awesome! If you come across anything cool, please pass it on!

Quoting GodsAmiga:

I have no answers for you because I have no idea how to succesfully unschool with my own kids. Lol! When they are older I figure I can let them take the lead on choosing what to learn and finding information and all of that but my oldest is only 7 right now. :-) Anyways, I am responding just because your year next year sounds almost exactly like my 7 year old's year next year. :-) For 3rd grade she chose to learn about children around the world and the curriculum includes all of the stuff you talked about. She's also going to learn cursive and if the science books I got bomb out (which they might-lol) I was thinking about having them try to grow a vegetable garden and all of that. :-) Great minds think alike. ;-) Lol!

Anonomama
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:47 PM
https://charlottemasonhome.com/living-it-out/scheduling-a-charlotte-mason-homeschooling-day/

Maybe a bit of a Chaotte Mason approach with a checklist like the article has? You can of course modify where needed, but it might be a good guide and help you remain accountable to your charter.
Precious333
by Julia on Apr. 21, 2016 at 12:23 AM
This seems like it would fit my personality very well! Right now in write on the whiteboard what we need to so for the day. Lately we haven't been able to do it all, I think we have been getting stuck on certain subjects and that's why.

Quoting Anonomama: https://charlottemasonhome.com/living-it-out/scheduling-a-charlotte-mason-homeschooling-day/

Maybe a bit of a Chaotte Mason approach with a checklist like the article has? You can of course modify where needed, but it might be a good guide and help you remain accountable to your charter.
Anonomama
by Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 1:31 AM
Yeah, I really like that the author approaches it as a checklist of what was done and not necessarily what has to be done. If the kids are interested in a subject and want to learn about it, you don't have to feel like you got stuck, you just know what to approach differently the next day. Glad this was helpful!

Quoting Precious333: This seems like it would fit my personality very well! Right now in write on the whiteboard what we need to so for the day. Lately we haven't been able to do it all, I think we have been getting stuck on certain subjects and that's why.

Quoting Anonomama: https://charlottemasonhome.com/living-it-out/scheduling-a-charlotte-mason-homeschooling-day/

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 11:10 AM
What youre describing is a unit study. Which is often a first baby step into unschooling. My Father's World covers missionaries and is a unit style set up. Documentation is easy , whereas with a true unschooling method, you'd basically have to video them 24 hours a day to document learning .
Precious333
by Julia on Apr. 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM
Yeah, I tend to me more eclectic in how I do things, and I want to give them more freedom, but I still want a part of the day where I can teach them as well....so I'm trying to find a balance.

Quoting Leissaintexas: What youre describing is a unit study. Which is often a first baby step into unschooling. My Father's World covers missionaries and is a unit style set up. Documentation is easy , whereas with a true unschooling method, you'd basically have to video them 24 hours a day to document learning .
Precious333
by Julia on Apr. 21, 2016 at 11:24 AM
We do a daily checklist, but maybe a weekly would be better for us so that they can choose how much they want to do daily. I just wonder, how ghat would work when we do group projects

Quoting Anonomama: Yeah, I really like that the author approaches it as a checklist of what was done and not necessarily what has to be done. If the kids are interested in a subject and want to learn about it, you don't have to feel like you got stuck, you just know what to approach differently the next day. Glad this was helpful!

Quoting Precious333: This seems like it would fit my personality very well! Right now in write on the whiteboard what we need to so for the day. Lately we haven't been able to do it all, I think we have been getting stuck on certain subjects and that's why.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)