Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Election stuff?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:59 AM
  • 10 Replies
Are you doing anything special related to the election this year?

Ds always goes with me to vote. Dh and i have very open political conversations in front of him. I also got a few age appropriate library books that we are going to read this week.
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Nov. 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM
I'm reading library books & we have a weekly reader on voting. But I'm keeping most of the politics of it out - my son knows that there are 2 people trying to become president & he knows who we are voting for. Oh, & apparently there will be a weekly reader in January about the new president.
AutasticMomx2
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 3:24 PM
My son knows his mommy is a hippie 3rd party voter lol. I've tried to use this time to emphasize political issues such as women's rights, war policies, etc. At age appropriate levels of course.

Quoting collinsmommy0: I'm reading library books & we have a weekly reader on voting. But I'm keeping most of the politics of it out - my son knows that there are 2 people trying to become president & he knows who we are voting for. Oh, & apparently there will be a weekly reader in January about the new president.
AutasticMomx2
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 3:24 PM
What is the reader? That sounds cool.

Quoting collinsmommy0: I'm reading library books & we have a weekly reader on voting. But I'm keeping most of the politics of it out - my son knows that there are 2 people trying to become president & he knows who we are voting for. Oh, & apparently there will be a weekly reader in January about the new president.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 3:51 PM
My 9 year old did a unit about elections and has watched the presidential debates. I didn't express my opinions about the candidates so he could form his own opinions about them.
AutasticMomx2
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 4:08 PM
I tried to keep my opinions to myself, but I think my son did a pretty good job of figuring it out lol. I didn't let him watch the debates as they are after his bedtime though. I need to work on local stuff this week. I've failed on that front.

Quoting Bluecalm: My 9 year old did a unit about elections and has watched the presidential debates. I didn't express my opinions about the candidates so he could form his own opinions about them.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Nov. 5, 2016 at 12:36 PM

We did a few library books and worksheets...one about qualifications to become president and duties of the president and one talking about what qualities you think would make a perfect president. My son said...

Honesty

Kindness

That He Does His Tasks

and...uh...shoot, I can't remember the last one.

:-)

I talk with my kids about election stuff (all elections, and the importance of researching and voting in local elections especially), and we usually listen to NPR and I had planned to talk with them all about the issues and have them watch the debates (and I did talk with my older, non-homeschooled kids about many things...but I've had to turn off the radio and skip on debate watching because this election has gotten so vile I just don't want my children being over-exposed to it.  They got enough in the begginning to get an idea about it, and I don't feel like they need more at this point).

AutasticMomx2
by on Nov. 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM
Yah I know what you mean about the debates :(

Sounds like you did a ton though!

Quoting Scribbleprints:

We did a few library books and worksheets...one about qualifications to become president and duties of the president and one talking about what qualities you think would make a perfect president. My son said...

Honesty

Kindness

That He Does His Tasks

and...uh...shoot, I can't remember the last one.

:-)

I talk with my kids about election stuff (all elections, and the importance of researching and voting in local elections especially), and we usually listen to NPR and I had planned to talk with them all about the issues and have them watch the debates (and I did talk with my older, non-homeschooled kids about many things...but I've had to turn off the radio and skip on debate watching because this election has gotten so vile I just don't want my children being over-exposed to it.  They got enough in the begginning to get an idea about it, and I don't feel like they need more at this point).

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Nov. 7, 2016 at 8:56 PM
I signed up this year for the scholastic weekly reader. So once a month I get a packet of 4 little booklets on different subjects. Then we get online access to printables, a video (or 2!) and a game. Every Friday we do that as our circle time & social studies or science topic for the week or day (depending on my kids' interests). It started out kinda lame (How do you make friends? And the rules at school) but October came with one on pumpkin life cycle (including rotting, which my kids liked the best), a voting one, - healthy kids one....I forget the other one.

It gives me good topics, great things to hand in to the charter school, and my kids love doing the booklet & watching the videos. It was $20 for one child, but my 3 year old does it with us so I ordered enough for him too (it was cheaper to order 5 copies at $28 total than pay $20 per child for 2 kids!)

Quoting AutasticMomx2: What is the reader? That sounds cool.

AutasticMomx2
by on Nov. 7, 2016 at 9:43 PM
That's really neat! We may have to do that next year.

I have to laugh at the rot. We studied rot too and that is by far Ethan's favorite science subject. He still has to check every single tree at the park for rot.

Quoting collinsmommy0: I signed up this year for the scholastic weekly reader. So once a month I get a packet of 4 little booklets on different subjects. Then we get online access to printables, a video (or 2!) and a game. Every Friday we do that as our circle time & social studies or science topic for the week or day (depending on my kids' interests). It started out kinda lame (How do you make friends? And the rules at school) but October came with one on pumpkin life cycle (including rotting, which my kids liked the best), a voting one, - healthy kids one....I forget the other one.

It gives me good topics, great things to hand in to the charter school, and my kids love doing the booklet & watching the videos. It was $20 for one child, but my 3 year old does it with us so I ordered enough for him too (it was cheaper to order 5 copies at $28 total than pay $20 per child for 2 kids!)

Quoting AutasticMomx2: What is the reader? That sounds cool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)