Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Snow days??

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 8:34 PM
  • 21 Replies
Do you follow the local school closings?

Our district just closed and ds is already in bed. He's going to be so happy when he wakes up because we follow the schools. My mom always did it this way, so I do too. What about you?
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Group Admin on Dec. 11, 2016 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't. We take days as we need them but will work on days when everyone else is out of school.
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Dec. 12, 2016 at 3:15 AM

Actually, I purposely try NOT to follow the schools' schedules.

But there aren't snowdays here anyway.

AutasticMomx2
by on Dec. 12, 2016 at 4:35 AM
May I ask why?

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Dec. 12, 2016 at 4:47 AM

Quoting AutasticMomx2: May I ask why?
Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Because if we want to use our days off to go somewhere fun, I don't want everyone else to be there too. :)

AutasticMomx2
by on Dec. 12, 2016 at 8:28 AM
Makes sense. We go a lot of places on school days too. Now I won't be closing for cold days, only snow. We get a lot of wind chill closings and that just doesn't make sense for us to skip.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting AutasticMomx2: May I ask why?

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Because if we want to use our days off to go somewhere fun, I don't want everyone else to be there too. :)

Anonomama
by Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 10:51 AM
Just depends on where we're at for schoolwork. I do a super light load between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so if there's a closing early in january when we are just getting back into things, I'll still make him do school work. If it's bad and my husband is staying home too, we make it a snow day for all. Many times, I'll take one more or two things off his list for that day and make him just do some basics and still have plenty of time to get outside with his friends.
cabrandy03
by Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 10:55 AM
We don't really follow the local public schools schedule. I try to save days off for days dh is off work or days we have something really fun to do or days we're just really burnt out and need a break.
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this
I have absolutely no reason to follow the PS schedule. I mean, it doesn't even register in my head that the system exists. We aren't formal enough in our educational style to even notice a day off. We kind of unschool.
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Dec. 12, 2016 at 11:23 PM
No. we don't get snow days here (about 1.5 hours south of San Francisco) but we've been working on holidays like Memorial Day & Labor Day. My kids do better when we follow a routine on each weekday, even if DH is home from work that day. If I skip a day, then I get whining about doing work for the next week or so. But also.....school for them is 2 worksheets, a circle time with learning activities and games, and me reading to them. So 45 minutes or so, 30 minutes on a light day.
Bethbeth
by Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 3:17 AM

I don't have a rule either way. If we are busy looking out the window or playing in the snow, that's fine. If we do school, that's fine too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)