• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not many homeschoolers in my area

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM
  • 7 Replies
Going on two years now since we started homeschooling. We have field trips and create fun activities but not too many people in our city homeschool. I tried meetup and ads but everyones mostly up north of California. We are in Lakewood.
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Sometimes we have to really expand our search and often we have to be willing to go outside our immediate area to seek out the resources we need.

Homeschooling numbers continue to rise. As our community grows, it will get easier and easier to find groups to join. Our little group started with two families. It grew to about 15-20 families in less than two years.
coala
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:51 AM

We have run into the problem of my kids finding it hard to make friends with homeschooled kids.  I figured they would hit is off since they have something in common, but that is not the case.  LOL

We did have a new family that joined our speed skating team and they homeschool.  My girls have have hit it off with the two younger kids in that family (9 and 11).  They hang out and talk about what they did (or didn't do) for school that day.  It's been interesting to see this bond form.

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:08 PM
We live near a lot of homeschoolers....but many of them are extreme unschoolers. One told me I was ruining my child's childhood because I am 'forcing' him to do math and learn how to read. He doesn't mind do worksheets & asks for more learning activities and games.

So we only have a few friends around, and quite a bit of them are public school or private school kids.
Sassym0m24
by Member on Feb. 2, 2017 at 9:36 PM
There's not many in our area either.

Have you looked into a homeschooling associations in areas surrounding you?
luckyinlife
by on Feb. 3, 2017 at 10:30 AM
There are a lot of homeschoolers I our area and is still haven't seen many people lately. I have my girls in the same girl scout troop going on 4 years now, so they have a base group of friends they see consistently. We are starting 4h this month as well to add to our calendar.
Oddyssey
by Member on Feb. 4, 2017 at 10:40 AM

There are a lot of homeschoolers in our area, but I find that most of them are so busy, or their schedule doesn't mesh with ours, so it's nearly impossible to get together.  We recently tried a co-op (which might be a possiblilty for you) but they aren't being very accomodating for my special needs son, so that option is turning out to not work for us either.But it might be an idea for you to try out. You might have to travel for it though. I had to drive 45 minutes to get to ours.

vickyred2017
by on Feb. 4, 2017 at 10:06 PM
We're the only homeschoolers in our town.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)