• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool losing it!

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

This is our first year homeschooling and as the end of the year approaches... I am legit losing my shit.. LBS
I am super stressed about the end of grade testing that my child has to do.  I am uncertain if I want to do this again next year- althogh I feel like a bad mom if I send the kids back to public school... I THINK we've done pretty well staying on task with schooling and stuff but I have no idea to be honest. I seriously hope that we've covered all of the necessary material for him to pass EOGs.
I didn't buy any real curriculum and pretty much made everything up with free resources or really cheap stuff that I found... Idk if I am up for all of that again next year. But curriculums that come together seem so overwhelming

and expensive.

there's just SO much to do with homeschooling....

ugh... 

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmeow
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I can't speak to any of this, except the part where you said you would feel like a bad mom. If you don't feel like homeschooling is best for you and your family, there is no shame in putting your kids in school. Doing what is best for your family is what makes you a good mother, not homeschooling.
PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:37 PM

What grade?  I homeschooled my daughter for part of 3rd grade and I just got the standard of learning from my state for her grade and created a curriculum from that.  It wasn't too bad.  

MamaNeeNee
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 12:02 AM

One kindergartener.. She doesn't have to test.  And the other 4th grade.. he has a test and I did what you did for the year. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

What grade?  I homeschooled my daughter for part of 3rd grade and I just got the standard of learning from my state for her grade and created a curriculum from that.  It wasn't too bad.  

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:40 AM
OK, I'm from a non reg state, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but what's the worst thing that could happen? I mean, so what if he doesn't pass a standardized test that isn't developed to measure actual learning? If you feel good about the time spent with your kids, if they grew as individuals and enjoyed learning, then that's a win.
MamaNeeNee
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 1:33 PM

If he were to go back to regular school, which he will at some point, because he wants to, he will be stuck in 4th grade. 

Quoting Leissaintexas: OK, I'm from a non reg state, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but what's the worst thing that could happen? I mean, so what if he doesn't pass a standardized test that isn't developed to measure actual learning? If you feel good about the time spent with your kids, if they grew as individuals and enjoyed learning, then that's a win.

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 4:38 PM

Can I ask, if he wants to go to school and you are feeling overwhelmed by homeschooling him right now, what is holding you back from sending him?  Why is it that you feel homeschooling is better for your family or for your son than public school right now?    (I'm not questioning whether it is, but just trying to understand your personal reasons for homeschooling so I can offer better advice).

I can say that whether we are doing enough/covering things enough is a worry for me too.  And I really can relate to your fears about what level your son will be in when he goes back to public school.   Only my youngest homeschools, but this year my middle child wanted to homeschool.  For various reason he would have only been homeschooling for this year, but then would be going back the next year.   We decided to startt a month early to see how things went.    Trying to find curriculum that matched up neatly with what the school was teaching was SO HARD...I didn't even have everything once our trial month started.    And with no time to deschool or wiggle room for me get used to teaching at his level, and adjust to moving from teaching one to teaching two, I burned out within two weeks--wasn't sleeping because of the stress, etc..  We decided it was best to send him to school, though that was a really hard decision for me.

We are planning to send my youngest back to public school eventually too (various reasons), but in 4 or 5 years, so I don't feel that time pinch with him.  Things went really slowly our first year but I can see where we are gaining ground over time and how things I was teaching were getting through even when they didn't seem to be, so while he's behind our state standards in some subjects I'm not worried.  As I learn about how he learns, and learn how to better teach him, and as he gains confidence I feel like we're gaining momentum and learning is happening quicker and with less struggle.  And, I'm guessing that will happen with you too.  It just depends on when you plan to send him back, and whether you will have the time to build that momentum before then. 

You might see if your library has the textbooks your local public school uses, or if the school could loan you some or sell you an older version.  That would make it easier to see if you are covering the same things, even if you don't use those materials with your child.

MamaNeeNee
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 7:57 PM

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Can I ask, if he wants to go to school and you are feeling overwhelmed by homeschooling him right now, what is holding you back from sending him?  Why is it that you feel homeschooling is better for your family or for your son than public school right now?    (I'm not questioning whether it is, but just trying to understand your personal reasons for homeschooling so I can offer better advice).

we aren't in a permanent home and we made a long distance move before this. we are moving again in a month or two, we chose to homeschool this year for two reasons. we always wanted to try it and we knew we wouldn't be in the same (new) school district for the entire school year.  it seemed like the best option for us for this year.  Our oldest has always attended public school and it has been kind of rough getting him used to homeschool.  He likes it but he misses school also. 

I can say that whether we are doing enough/covering things enough is a worry for me too.  And I really can relate to your fears about what level your son will be in when he goes back to public school.   Only my youngest homeschools, but this year my middle child wanted to homeschool.  For various reason he would have only been homeschooling for this year, but then would be going back the next year.   We decided to startt a month early to see how things went.    Trying to find curriculum that matched up neatly with what the school was teaching was SO HARD...I didn't even have everything once our trial month started.    And with no time to deschool or wiggle room for me get used to teaching at his level, and adjust to moving from teaching one to teaching two, I burned out within two weeks--wasn't sleeping because of the stress, etc..  We decided it was best to send him to school, though that was a really hard decision for me.

We are planning to send my youngest back to public school eventually too (various reasons), but in 4 or 5 years, so I don't feel that time pinch with him.  Things went really slowly our first year but I can see where we are gaining ground over time and how things I was teaching were getting through even when they didn't seem to be, so while he's behind our state standards in some subjects I'm not worried.  As I learn about how he learns, and learn how to better teach him, and as he gains confidence I feel like we're gaining momentum and learning is happening quicker and with less struggle.  And, I'm guessing that will happen with you too.  It just depends on when you plan to send him back, and whether you will have the time to build that momentum before then. 

You might see if your library has the textbooks your local public school uses, or if the school could loan you some or sell you an older version.  That would make it easier to see if you are covering the same things, even if you don't use those materials with your child.

as odd as this sounds.. we don't have a local library in my town.. it's two towns over.  this is the first time we've lived somewhere without a library. it's SO weird. 

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:15 PM

That would drive me crazy not to have a library nearby! 

If we had homeschooled my 6th grader this year I was going to ask if I could take the test for placement in the Spring (while we were still homeschooling) and if he didn't do well enough to be placed with his age group, if we could retake it again towards the end of the summer (giving us some time to work on whatever he was deficient on over the summer). 

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

we aren't in a permanent home and we made a long distance move before this. we are moving again in a month or two, we chose to homeschool this year for two reasons. we always wanted to try it and we knew we wouldn't be in the same (new) school district for the entire school year.  it seemed like the best option for us for this year.  Our oldest has always attended public school and it has been kind of rough getting him used to homeschool.  He likes it but he misses school also. 

as odd as this sounds.. we don't have a local library in my town.. it's two towns over.  this is the first time we've lived somewhere without a library. it's SO weird. 

MamaNeeNee
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:29 PM
Quoting Scribbleprints:
That's a great idea but we'd have to test like now to be able to take it again before school starts next year because the rule is that there has to be 6 months in between the tests and it's like $40 a test. And I know he's not ready right now. 

That would drive me crazy not to have a library nearby! 

If we had homeschooled my 6th grader this year I was going to ask if I could take the test for placement in the Spring (while we were still homeschooling) and if he didn't do well enough to be placed with his age group, if we could retake it again towards the end of the summer (giving us some time to work on whatever he was deficient on over the summer). 

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jan. 28, 2017 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

That is too bad!  :(

Quoting MamaNeeNee:
Quoting Scribbleprints:
That's a great idea but we'd have to test like now to be able to take it again before school starts next year because the rule is that there has to be 6 months in between the tests and it's like $40 a test. And I know he's not ready right now. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)