Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HS Moms Show & Tell of the Week 2/20/17: Favorite Elementary School Book

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:48 AM
  • 7 Replies

So, knowing other people's favorite resources can also help us out. It can give us new ideas, add to something we're already planning, or just have us go a new direction altogether. So why not share what we like?

What is your favorite book (so far if you haven't gone past elementary with your children) you've used for homeschooling at the elementary level? Why? Do you have any special recommendations for resources for it?

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:09 PM

I think my personal favorite has to be Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

This is a book I actually had to read in 6th grade when I was in school, but I really enjoyed it. My son was an advanced reader, and I was looking for something that would be interesting but a bit educational. Kids get to learn about how life was different way back when, and it has humor and stories that capture kids' attention and keep them interested.

I also found a fabulous resource for this book (which unfortunately I can't find right now) that had vocabulary, history, maybe some recipes, and other interesting facts. If I find it, I'll post it for sure!

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:50 PM

"One Small Square Cave" was a book we built a unit study around...my first and still favorite one!

gramabrenda
by Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 11:03 PM

What a great idea. Thanks for encouraging this type of sharing. My staple for homeschooling resources to add to the curriculum is McGuffy's Readers.  We also enjoy Aesop's Fables. But I can't go by this without mentioning Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor.

Not everyone would agree with me about these books. But for us they open an opportunity to discuss being you and a supportive family.  There are things we should support and the behavior that is just selfishness in disguise. And besides I really like Nancy. It also helped the boys to recognize some things about girls.

I really appreciate the responses that you have gotten so far. I think this is a very good thing. Thanks. 

502Amandab
by Member on Feb. 24, 2017 at 1:28 PM
I love the Jamie Lee Curtis books specifically "is there really a human race"
coala
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2017 at 2:06 PM

My kids have enjoyed reading the American Girl books.  We haven't done anything beyond just reading.  Through these books they have learned about different time periods and the cultures.

debramommyof4
by Group Admin on Feb. 25, 2017 at 2:29 AM
The Phantom tollbooth is amazing. It covers math and reading and many other fun skills and things. I love the book so much.
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Feb. 25, 2017 at 10:27 PM
What a great idea!

I love the magic school bus books for combining a story with science.

I would like to read the little house books with my kids. I'm waiting until they are in upper elementary to do it :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)