Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Curriculum: Hidden Gems

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2017 at 5:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

Does anyone have any curriculum  you  use and love, but rarely or never hear about (haven't see it talked about on forums, or advertised all over the place, or haven't seen it talked about for a long, long time?).   I'm always curious what "hidden gems" people have found.

by on Mar. 10, 2017 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
whiteheartcafe
by on Mar. 13, 2017 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
MCT? (with a question mark due to encountering a lot of people that haven't heard of this, but maybe you have).
royalfireworkspress.com if not.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Mar. 13, 2017 at 11:15 PM

Nope I haven't heard of it.  What does MCT stand for?   Why do you like it and royalfireworkspress.com?

Quoting whiteheartcafe: MCT? (with a question mark due to encountering a lot of people that haven't heard of this, but maybe you have). royalfireworkspress.com if not.

whiteheartcafe
by on Mar. 13, 2017 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
MCT stands for Michael Clay Thompson Lang. Arts. Royal Fireworks Press is the publisher.
My DD has learned so much grammar from this curriculum. Instead of diagramming, it teaches a four-level analysis. I usually just bought the pieces I needed, not the whole set. The writing wasn't structured enough for my child so we ended up using Essentials In Writing. The Caesar's English (I and II) is very good. There are also Literature components and separate poetry books.
MCT is light on mechanics, so we added in Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing. My DD really likes those workbooks.
The books are kind of pricey, but you can find them used over on eBay.
Cathy Duffy has written reviews for MCT. She explains things do much better than I do (I've got ADD). You can also go over to the Well Trained Mind forums and ask questions. There are quite a few moms over there that use MCT.

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Nope I haven't heard of it.  What does MCT stand for?   Why do you like it and royalfireworkspress.com?

Quoting whiteheartcafe: MCT? (with a question mark due to encountering a lot of people that haven't heard of this, but maybe you have).

royalfireworkspress.com if not.

gramabrenda
by Member on Mar. 15, 2017 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a very good question and is probably the next thing most folks ask after they make or as they make the decision to homeschool. I have used a lot of the curriculums but for me I really like Abeka. I like it because it is consistent. It teaches character and academics and promotes physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health and well being.

I admit that I add other reinforcement at times and I sometimes have problems with the manner the information is presented. But usually, when I work thru it and look at the teachers manual, I find purpose and continuity.

I also really like some of the old timey curriculum and the values that it teaches. McGuffey's and Spencers have sustained the test of time and still offer good instructional material. I like curriculum that builds on strong principles and then demonstrates those principles in action in a character building mode.

The academics and basic body of knowledge is very important but I appreciate a curriculum that teaches these subjects integrated into everyday life. 

A "for instance." My husband and I both have undergrad degrees in Psychology. He graduated from a state university and I graduated from a Christian college. He sometimes struggles with applying what he learned in a manner that reflects his beliefs. I, on the other hand, received instruction with learning principles and then applying principles to support and strengthen my beliefs. It really does make a difference.

As a note, there are probably hidden gems in most curriculums. I even found a few in the PACE system, which is one of my least favorite. 

SLM016
by Member on Mar. 27, 2017 at 12:03 PM

I have shared all of this in my new e-book I created for my newsletter subscribers. Be sure and check out my site to get this ebook. :) 

Mindfulnessmama
by on Apr. 27, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Ambleside Online was a hidden gem to me, but I'm sure a lot of people may have heard of it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2017 at 1:09 AM

MCT

Apples and Pears Spelling (for struggling spellers and readers)

Dancing Bears Reading (sister program of Apples and Pears Spelling)

New American Cursive

Treasured Conversations (grammar)

Memoria Press Enrichment. Even if you do not use--or care for--MP's core curriculum, the enrichment manual (with the read alouds) is a gem in itself. 

Leading the Little Ones to Mary (religion)

St. Patrick's Summer (religion)

How Our Nation Began (American history; Catholic; vintage reprint)

TAN's "Story of Civilization" (think of it as the Catholic version of Story of the World)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)