Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best Curriculum??

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2017 at 5:22 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am searching for an effective curriculum for my daughter. She is in the 4th grade and is in the gifted program. We are brand new to homeschool but I am a former educator.  I have been researching curriculums. Has anyone tried time4learning  or Alpha Omega???  Which curriculum are you using?

by on Mar. 13, 2017 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by on Mar. 13, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Have you heard of Sonlight? 

I loved it but it was not a good fit for my kids who didn't like to read and weren't academically inclined.

https://www.sonlight.com/

Quoting whit123:

I am searching for an effective curriculum for my daughter. She is in the 4th grade and is in the gifted program. We are brand new to homeschool but I am a former educator.  I have been researching curriculums. Has anyone tried time4learning  or Alpha Omega???  Which curriculum are you using?

whit123
by New Member on Mar. 13, 2017 at 8:12 PM

I will check that out. Thanks

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2017 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally avoid CCS, so T4L wouldn't be my choice. I never used a box curriculum because my kids' learning g styles and abilities varied from subject to subject. I've always put together my own from various publishers. Which one from AO were you looking at?

7-blessings
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Alpha Omega is a great program if you are homeschooling 1 child.  The placement tests are a bit hard to follow, and the material seems to be off (material harder than the grade intended).  

My 6th grader who has learning disorders, we are using Accelerated Christian Education and are having her work on the paces she tested at.  For reading she is on 2nd grade, math 4th grade, Science and social studies are 3rd grade and word building she is in 5th grade.

My 3rd grader is in the same program: Math he is finishing up 4th grade level, reading he is 4th grade, spelling 5th grade, science and social studies 4th and Literature finishing 3rd grade.

With this program, they must past their tests with a 90% (my rule not theirs) before moving on to the next pace.

My 2 highschool students are doing Penn and Foster and I absolutely adore this program!!!!!!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2017 at 1:14 AM
3 moms liked this

There is no "best" curriculum :) What works best for you and yours is entirely dependent on you and child(ren).

A child I tutored and sat for used T4L and I wasn't impressed. it seemed very easy to simply "move through the motions" with and I didn't find that she retained much. 

Alpha Omega seems to depend on the subject, your child's learning style, and your teaching style. I do like their Horizons math program, but I don't personally care for their other subjects (admittedly, I haven't tried them, but they do not fit our overall "style).

I would advise that you first consider your philosophy and style regarding education. Are you learning Charlotte Mason, classical, school-at-home?

We are somewhere between classical and "Catholic School" (at home). We use a variety of curricula and from various companies. I'm in the middle of writing lesson plans pulling together all of those pieces right now, actually, lol. 

Good luck to you and I wish you many blessings on your homeschool journey!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Iheartdisney
by Member on Mar. 26, 2017 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Math u see or life of fred and movong beyond the page. Most of my friends kods and mine are gifted and love these curriculum as they tech thru life skills
Kdprocks
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I am using time4learning right now for my daughters (7th and 9th grades) what I like about it is that you can choose prek-8th grade and it will give you the past grade, and ahead one grade as well. Ex. My daughter is 7th grade, she'll have access to 6th and 8th grade materials.

It also allows you as the parent to adjust what you want. I like it, some of the cartoon characters that explain assignments are silly and for far younger kiddos than mine, but we just chuckle and move on.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Mar. 26, 2017 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We use different curriculum for each subject.  Are you looking for one curriculum that covers all subjects, or are you willing to mix and match?

My son is a little younger, and a struggling learner (not gifted), but the following curriculum we use are also used by a gifted homeschooler in our co-op with a lot of success.

Story of the World (for history) - it's a Chronological history starting in ancient times, presenting history sort of as a story.  I've writen more about it here:  http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2016/09/story-of-world-review.html

All About Spelling - I really love how this is organized around spelling rules.  It's a very easy to use open and go curriculum.

Riding.hood
by on Mar. 27, 2017 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/

Check out the link above. (Sorry, I don't know how to make it clicky) It's a great place to find out more about curriculums. We use many different sources for our homeschool.

ladyluke2007
by on Mar. 27, 2017 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I love Alpha Omega.  I don't use their online curriculum but I do use the LifPac.  I love it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)