Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Planets Ideas

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2017 at 7:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm looking for experiments, crafts, and other activities related to specific planets (I've got plenty of "whole solar system" ideas,  but since we'll be studying one planet a day I'd love for anything specifically related to any planet: Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, etc. ...even pluto, though it's not officially a planet anymore). Things related to several planets (like "the rocky planets" or "the gas giants") would be great too.  Thanks so much for any suggestions.

by on Mar. 31, 2017 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NearSeattleMom
by on Apr. 1, 2017 at 2:49 AM

Maybe some of the ideas here would be helpful?

http://thissweetlifeofmine.com/solar-system-unit-study-round-up/

Quoting Scribbleprints:

I'm looking for experiments, crafts, and other activities related to specific planets (I've got plenty of "whole solar system" ideas,  but since we'll be studying one planet a day I'd love for anything specifically related to any planet: Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, etc. ...even pluto, though it's not officially a planet anymore). Things related to several planets (like "the rocky planets" or "the gas giants") would be great too.  Thanks so much for any suggestions.

mcmlxxxv
by Member on Apr. 1, 2017 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
We made a model of the solar system by painting styrofoam balls from a craft store and hanging them on fishing line. You could paint one ball at a time as you study the planet and what it looks like, and have a complete system at the end.
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Apr. 3, 2017 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this

High quality learning materials right here:

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Apr. 3, 2017 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm really not a science person at all, but I had DS read Apologia's Astronomy book for elementary by himself.(NOTE: I did do other science with him, but space is my all-time least favorite, so since we were already working on another book at the time, I had him do it that way. I'm not letting my kid's science education flounder lol.)

You could also check out live streams on youtube from Nasa, and many years back I know we got free space materials from some Nasa educational thing I found online.Maybe you can find it here somewhere...it included a DVD and a poster I believe.

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/index.html

shadowmoon
by on Apr. 14, 2017 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

*I still say and always will that Pluto's a planet.*

I'm not sure if they have it anymore but  when I was in sixth grade science, I did a model on the solar system and got a styrafoam planet set that I then spent the night painting all the planets with my mom before taking it to school as part of a project.  I can't remember what exactly the project entailed unfortunatley.  

Maybe you could look up planets for homeschool or planets for kids on youtube?  I like The Universe show on the History Channel, I believe you can purchase that online.  http://www.history.com/shows/the-universe

Enter the abyss and step to the edge...

Blogs: Open Borders, Galactic Buckeyes Homeschool, Education Kation 

Forsaken...Forgotten...Watch your step...For we have risen!

mommaof697
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM

If you are Christian I would go to AnswersinGenesis.com Their materials are excellent and very informative from scientists who know their field. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)