Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need resources on teaching sexual safety etc

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2017 at 2:45 AM
  • 8 Replies
Our son is 7yrs old. We've homeschooled from day one.
Both my husband and I , have spoke with our son about sexual safety & strangers. Yet - Im not sure he's catching on.
Any info, direction on how to better approach this or any materials you are aware of that we could access or purchase?
I plan on stopping at our local library monday - small town, even smaller library, so I don't know if they will have anything on this.
Thanks!
by on Apr. 9, 2017 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kajira
by Member on Apr. 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Sexual safety to a 7 year old? For us, it consisted of "private parts are private. If anyone wants to touch you there, you scream for help It's wrong for another kid, or an adult to want to touch your privates."

We also discussed how to tell us if the privates itch, burn, hurt, etc, and that it's a medical condition and when a parent is with them, the doctor is allowed to look and touch to diagnose/help them feel better. We emphasise parental involvement, and if anyone tells my kid not to tell a parent, that's 100% WHEN they need to tell a parent.

Just talk about it. I wouldn't make a huge deal about it, just bring it up casually a few times until they can repeat the information back to you. I wouldn't want to traumatize my kid, which is what might happen if you blow it way up.

Statistically, sexual abuse is more likely to happen by someone they know, than a stranger, which is why I talked to my kids about it.

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:48 PM

I'm pretty sure there's a book on it (more of a story), but not sure what it's called.

If you look this up on Amazon some materials come up:

kid safety good touch bad touch

Also, if you just go to youtube and search "good touch bad touch for kids" various video possibilities pop up. You could view some of them and see if any work for what you want.

(Videos are memorable. I still remember the one we saw in kindergarten about such things.)

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I talk wth my son about how his body is his own and how to be respectful of other people's body ('if they say no, you let go' - things like horsing around or tickling, they know if anyone says no then the other person stops)

For 'stranger danger' we use 'tricky people'. We talk about scenarios where a 'tricky person' may come up to him and try to get him to go with them. There are several scenarios to talk about, you can google it. Things like adults never ask kids for help, adults would say things like 'trust me, I've talked to your parents' etc.
gramabrenda
by Member on Apr. 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM

You are so on the right track in equipping your children to deal with the realities of the world today and you have gotten some excellent advice. So I will just add this one article I found. I really like the "tricky people" and "creepy strangers" idea.  Hope this helps to add to your arsenal.

Mom Teaches Kids 2 Words to Keep Them Safe From Strangers

I will be praying for you and your children. God loves them even more than you do and He cares. I believe we have to do our best to equip them and then trust God to protect them, so I add my prayers for your children to yours. Blessings to you and your family. 

Raggedylaura
by Member on Apr. 17, 2017 at 10:03 AM

I wrote this article a while ago which you may find useful information

http://raggedycottagegarden.blogspot.com/2016/02/things-to-talk-about-when-giving-your.html

mommaof697
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2017 at 11:15 AM

There is a book that was wrote by a police officer. The book is called the Swimsuit Lesson. It is not that expensive I bought a couple copies and donated one to my church and I kept one to reread often (about every 6 months.)

I tell my kids that no adult will need a childs help with things so if an adult asks you to help do something (like find a puppy, find a pet) Don't help them. I tell them that sometimes people who hurt you will tell you not to tell or they will hurt someone you love (sibling, parent, friend) I tell my kids that they need to tell no matter what is threatened. I tell them that it is not just strangers that try to hurt us sometimes it is people we know and that they need to be told on as well. 

The biggest thing though is I go over it every 4-6 months. My kids roll their eyes and say "I know" but I want to do all I can to keep them safe.

coala
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2017 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!!!

Some of this has helped ease my mind in some areas with my kids.

Quoting ceckyl: http://www.checklistmommy.com/2012/02/09/tricky-people-are-the-new-strangers/ PLEASE read this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)