Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HS Moms Show & Tell of the Week 4/10/17: How's the hunt going? Are you looking into items for next year?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:55 PM
  • 2 Replies

So, for a lot of people it's that time again! Curriculum time! Are you looking into things for next year? Anything looking promising? Still on the fence about some things? Let us know your progress!

I mentioned it in a previous post, but maybe you didn't read that so thought I'd just share. I'm pretty set on what I'm going to use for my son for next year (10th grade). We'll mostly be doing things through A Beka Academy (DVD teachings with A Beka book materials) with some supplemental books and materials for English, since I feel they're lacking in some literature aspects. For math, he'll be finishing the second half of Saxon Advanced Mathematics and watching DVD teachings from Art Read. I'm pretty stoked. Minimal research this year into finding it, and minimal planning on my part. Woohoo!

by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 7:31 AM

I'm sticking with Abeka...I like the elementary curriculum as you can buy it all in a set and I don't have to piece it all together. My girls have done well with it. The science and history have gotten better since 1st grade, but if it veers too far off, I teach them with sources from the internet to supplement. Abeka is pretty advanced in terms of math and such for elementary grades. My 5th grader was doing concepts in 3rd grade her public school taught BFF had never heard about before. It does seem odd that Abeka considers 6th grade to be elementary and not middle school though...everyone else classifies it as middle school. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Apr. 14, 2017 at 11:29 PM

Next year I'll mostly be continuing things from this year. 

History:  Story of the World, next level (Middle Ages)

Reading:  Continue in Progressive Phonics (a free program), though I'm considering getting All About Reading

Spelling:  All About Spelling (same level, cause we  only made it half way through this year)

For science I don't use a curriculum, just make my own unit studies....or do whatever they are doing at co-op. 

Math is the only other thing I might change.  We started with Math U See.  I liked it for teaching place value, but I just had a hard time teaching addition and subtraction with it, for various reasons.   I have just started using Addition Facts than Work and Subtraction Facts that Work and I LOVE it so far.  It is game based for practice.  I will probably still use Math U See for teaching time next year (I like how it does it with the blocks), but am looking for something else as we move on to multiplication and division. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)