Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Accomplishments of this year

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:52 PM
Kim
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
This (traditional) school is almost up! What accomplishments have you or your children done that you are proud of?

My kinder learned to read & write, and has learned how to draw. He's very proud of the drawing.

My 3 year old learned to read alongside my 5 year old (unexpectedly)

I am starting to learn to knit.
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 7:41 AM

I didn't kill my 3rd grader... LOL 

All joking aside, my 3rd grader has made some strides this year. She has conquered some math concepts that I thought she would never understand..we are still working on things like lbs, oz, quarts, gallons, etc..she can't remember them to save her life so doing conversion equations can be difficult at times even though she knows how to do them...if she doesn't know how many lbs are in a ton, it is troublesome. She also read Harry Potter 1 which is HUGE as she HATES to read.. I can't even put into words how much the child loathes reading so the fact that she read a 300+ page book is amazing. 

11 year old- Nothing school wise..she is still an overachiever in every way.. She got her 2nd degree black belt in November.. She has played flute for almost 2 years now. Back in January, her band director came to her and told her she is very advanced and he wanted her to sit in on the advanced band as well as the intermediate class she is currently taking. She now takes 2.5 hours of band on Mondays at music group. She also stepped out of her comfort zone and joined musical drama this year. So, she has 2.5 hours of band, a 30 minute lunch break, then off to choir ( required for drama), and then 2 hours of drama.. Not to mention, school work has gotten to be heavier since she is finishing 5th grade this week, she had a major Karate production a few weeks ago so she had long rehearsals for that, and her drama production is in 3 weeks so she has had to learn a ton of choreography and songs for it as she is in the ensemble. She's been just a tad bit stressed lately. She is so ready for it to be over for a while.. LOL 

My accomplishment was living. I had a stroke on August 1st and if Lilly had not acted swiftly and calmly, I probably would have died with just the girls with me as Dh was on a business trip when it happened. I have since changed my life completely ( threw out all the junk food) and lost 40+ lbs and gotten healthy. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

IHNWCC
by on Apr. 11, 2017 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Our accomplishments are that we are surviving. LOL!  Our second oldest was diagnosed with autism and severe language impairments this year.  While we haven't made great strides academically this year with him, getting a diagnosis was a huge accomplishment.  We now know what we are dealing with, and we can better plan for this summer and the upcoming year so we can make future accomplishments.

Our oldest has made great progress in his math and language arts.  I think he will do great next year in 8th grade, and I feel we are on track for high school.  This is huge, because he also has autism. 

Our fifth child was diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder this year.  Despite that life changing diagnosis, we have persevered! The Lord has walked along with us the entire way, and we are still finishing the year strong.  Miraculously, we are still on schedule too!  Haha! Sometimes the accomplishment is just surviving the storm.

coala
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 4:24 PM

We are only in our 2nd quarter and I've learned so much in just the last 11 weeks of our school year.

We are in the middle of waiting for an ADHD evaluation.  In the meantime we are doing what we can with our curriculum to tailor the way questions on her tests and quizes are worded to help her succeed.  Today we did oral tests and quizes and her grades showed dramtic improvement.  I have known all along that my DD is bright, but she was having a disconnect with getting that across on her tests and quizes.  I'm hoping that we will learn more after her evaluation in June.

My ODD accomplishments haven't necessarily been academic.  She has learned to persevere through pain and discomfort.  I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but for a child who would back off from doing anything that was "hard or challenging" whether it was physical or mental is a HUGE accomplishment.  I have watched my DD struggle to keep up with her peers during competitions because she didn't think she was good enough.  We have had tons of talks about her competitiors not being any better or worse than she is, they are just more determined to win.  She decided after she broke a finger in November to continue to train.  After she healed and the splint had been off for three weeks, she broke two more fingers.  When she broke those I went to her coach and said I wanted to pull her.  He wanted to know what she wanted to do.  She wanted to keep competing, so he put her back in.  She came home wearing two splints and continued to train.  She went to a massive training camp and worked harder than I have ever seen her work.  She got a time qualifying her to go to outdoor nationals (I didn't pay the fee to let her go, but I will next year).  She has done two more competitions and worked her butt off.  In the last one I had to drag her to her teammate because she was in tears.  They placed 4th!!!  Her teammate, the teammate's mom and I couldn't have been more proud.  My DD however, decided that 4th just wasn't good enough.  She talked to her partner and they are working on perfecting their speed and tags hoping that their coach will pair them for regionals in June.  I have tears just thinking about how far she has come in the mental capicity to just not give up.  I'm hoping that this will continue and flow over into the rest of her life.  Her dad took her out on the bike trail for some training on Friday night. She came off the trail in tears.  Her back hurt, her legs hurt, and she had hot spots (rubbing) on her ankles that can turn into blisters.  She was worn out!!  When she calmed down, she thanked both her dad and I for pushing her and not letting her give up.  I can't wait to see how her next season goes!!  I'm excited for the next phase of her skating career.

AutasticMomx2
by Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
My kinder taught himself most of the times tables and learned to add and subtract multiple digits. His reading has greatly improved. He has also gained a lot of social skills which is big for an aspie.

I've learned to be a mom of 2 and not kill either one lol.

My dh graduates may 7 magna cum laude with his b.s. in athletic training :)
AutasticMomx2
by Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM
Congrats on surviving and I pray your next year is better.

Quoting IHNWCC:

Our accomplishments are that we are surviving. LOL!  Our second oldest was diagnosed with autism and severe language impairments this year.  While we haven't made great strides academically this year with him, getting a diagnosis was a huge accomplishment.  We now know what we are dealing with, and we can better plan for this summer and the upcoming year so we can make future accomplishments.

Our oldest has made great progress in his math and language arts.  I think he will do great next year in 8th grade, and I feel we are on track for high school.  This is huge, because he also has autism. 

Our fifth child was diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder this year.  Despite that life changing diagnosis, we have persevered! The Lord has walked along with us the entire way, and we are still finishing the year strong.  Miraculously, we are still on schedule too!  Haha! Sometimes the accomplishment is just surviving the storm.

cabrandy03
by Member on May. 3, 2017 at 4:58 PM
My 6 year old's reading and writting abilities have come a long way this year. She really struggled with phonics last year but has gotten to where she can actually sound out a lot of words she doesn't know now. She still hates any and all writtng activities but her handwritting is looking very nice and neat for a 6 year old when I can get her to focus on what she's doing (she has adhd and some sensory issues that make it insanely difficult to get her to focus for any length of time). She's adding and subtracting multiple digit problems.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jun. 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM

My kiddo has come a long way in reading, and in willingness to read and write.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)