Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

End of the Year

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2017 at 11:27 AM
  • 10 Replies

It's coming ladies (assuming you do take some part of the summer off) : The End of the Year

When does your year end?

Are you looking forward to it, or dreading it?

How do you spend your summers?

Anything special that you wouldn't normally do this summer?

by on Apr. 29, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Apr. 29, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Our school year ends, hopefully, the last week in May (not sure if it will be the last full week, or the one that leads into June this year.)

This year I'm looking forward to it. This year has been hard.

Normally DS has swim lessons, then I find other activities to put him in, but I think he swims well enough that he doesn't need those anymore. I have him signed up for a day camp for the first couple of weeks (rare to find for teens - I need the break more than he does and am grateful I have found it), and then we'll play it by ear - he is 13 after all. I think he has all these grand plans of splendor of doing things with his friends - but I don't think they want to spend extra time with him (he's sort of annoying and socially clueless - and I've tried to tell him about certain behaviors he could work on correct but I "don't know anything" so....that's on him, I guess).Toward the end of July he has week-long church camp which is a sleepover thing and he'll be several hours away.

Normally we start school mid-July, but he's been whining about it, so we might start beginning of August - but he'll lose out on his long Christmas break (which I've warned him about, but then he can just whine about that when the time comes, I suppose.)

stormie1985
by Member on Apr. 30, 2017 at 10:06 AM
We've gone ahead and started our new year. They will get a little break with their dad in Maryland this summer since he has to work. But because he has them for two entire months we don't take super long breaks and tend to do a little bit each day and take a day or two here or there in order to keep work load down.
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Apr. 30, 2017 at 6:02 PM
We are ending the first week of june or so. We are visiting family the second week in june so that will be the 'official' end of the school year.

The kids will still have to do some work over the summer, mainly learning their math facts, continuing on reading eggs, and reading.

My 6 year old is signed up for a 1 week lego camp and a 1 week art camp. He is super excited about both. Both my kids will be in swimming lessons a lot this summer.
mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 30, 2017 at 6:35 PM

Our school year ended on the 17th...we are taking a few weeks off and will restart in May some time...the girls will go to FL for a couple of weeks in June most likely, then we are renting a house with friends in July so they will have those 3 weeks off. We will be back in the swing of it full time by July 24th as we will be home for good since music school will start back on August 7th. We should be about 6 weeks in by then. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

coala
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2017 at 7:57 PM

We run January to September.  We try to squeeze in a few summertime activities after we complete our school day like going to the pool.  Otherwise it is just to dang hot to do much during the summer here.  I can't wait for their next break which will happen in 3 more weeks.  We will take a week off!

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on May. 9, 2017 at 12:01 AM

This year, our year won't really end.   There is just too much unfinished.  We had that problem last year and started a month early and that worked well, but this time I think we will keep going but just cut down to a reduced week in summer, because we have a good pace going and because it just feels right now.    But we will be doing some vacations and a week off for VBS and such.

mommaof697
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2017 at 10:40 PM

We usually stop school june 1st.   We farm during the summer so we throw hay and push animals. 

This summer I am having someone do a few lessons on writing to my kids. I am thinking maybe they will respond to someone else. 

Hopefully a vacation also but I am not holding my breath on that one.

gramabrenda
by Member on May. 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM
Dear End of year?

We set our school calendar at the beginning of the year which is always the Tuesday after Labor Day. We usually end on the Friday before Memorial Day. This year we are going to have to extend because we have had some problems with my student's parents allowing video games, which have resulted in discipline problems. So a lot of our time has been dealing with discipline and character development. We did complete a grade and a half in Language Arts, but math lagged behind and we didn't finish the curriculum. Reading has stayed consistent so I am thankful for that.

Normally we usually enjoy school so much we hate to end. But this year I need a break. It seems that video games are addictive and our students are constantly begging to be able to do them (which we don't allow, some parents were using them as a reward, I don't think that worked out like they thought).

By the way I homeschool my grandson and offer homeschool help to neighbors. I am a "retired" teacher. Last year we did "little school" and had a great time with it. It was 2 days a week. This year each student has a summer project and a reading list. Camps are great, library programs for the summer are great and there are many other activities that we will be free to enjoy since we are not on our school schedule. We will also try to do more acts of kindness than we do in the school year.

The learning goes on in a more relaxed format. There is more room for spontaneous picnics, swims, hikes and visiting. There will be more family and friends visiting. We will probably do Vacation Bible School at several churches in our area.
braxma14
by New Member on May. 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM

I will be homeschooling during the summer... math, reading (mostly math problems and science (machinery), and construction/building sets. We might have a couple of short vacations, but thats about it. I have DD5

cabrandy03
by Member on May. 27, 2017 at 4:37 PM
We'll be done next Friday (June 2nd). Definitely looking forward to it. We both need a break.
This summer we're planning a couple camping trips, and lots of swimming at the creek, hiking, and fishing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)