Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Move along a grade level or not

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2017 at 6:14 PM
Kim
  • 7 Replies
My 3.5 year old decided to do everything his kinder brother was doing this year....he learned to read (& reads at a late first grade reading level, he reads better than his 6 year old brother), knows math facts & math concepts, participates in all activities.

So looking at next year I'm debating whether to get him kinder workbooks or a first grade one. He can do all of the first grade work (I think) except he doesn't have the fine motor skills of writing letter down (why would he? He's only 3!). So during kinder I've been tracing out the answers he gives me. I'm not sure I want to do that all next year.

Would you buy a first grade reading workbook for him or a kinder one? The kinder ones he did this year.....& did them pretty well, only needing my help with writing letters in answers.

Note: he will be finishing up all about reading level 1 this summer and starting level 2, it's more of the workbook time (which his brother does for his charter school, we do 2 worksheets a day)
by on Apr. 30, 2017 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Apr. 30, 2017 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ensure he knows phonics, and then have him reading lots and lots of books at whatever level you feel is right. At the "worksheet" time i would just have him working on writing letters to the best of his ability.

AutasticMomx2
by Member on May. 1, 2017 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
^^ agreed. Allowing him to move up to 1st grade at this time could cause a lot of issues down the road, for him and your other son. Plus the longer you let him move up, the worse the handwriting gap will be. One of the main reasons my son is doing 1st grade and not 2nd this fall is because of handwriting.
collinsmommy0
by Kim on May. 1, 2017 at 3:06 PM
Thanks. That's my concern - if I start him at 1st grade work at 4, then he won't be able to keep up when my older hits 3rd or so.

Quoting AutasticMomx2: ^^ agreed. Allowing him to move up to 1st grade at this time could cause a lot of issues down the road, for him and your other son. Plus the longer you let him move up, the worse the handwriting gap will be. One of the main reasons my son is doing 1st grade and not 2nd this fall is because of handwriting.
collinsmommy0
by Kim on May. 1, 2017 at 3:08 PM
Thanks. He definitely knows his phonics and has a good phonemic awareness abilities. He did all of the all about reading lessons this year with his brother (his choice) and reads a ton of books now. He chooses to read for 20-30 minutes a day and can read books like the Pete the cat readers and books like 'Danny the dinosaur'

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

I would ensure he knows phonics, and then have him reading lots and lots of books at whatever level you feel is right. At the "worksheet" time i would just have him working on writing letters to the best of his ability.

Bethbeth
by Member on May. 1, 2017 at 11:46 PM

I would continue with All About Reading. There are no grade levels, and no required writing, so you can go at whatever pace you wish. I see no reason for a reading workbook.

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2017 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
We don't do grade levels. That's a made up system that has little resemblance to what's age/ability appropriate. You do what each child is ready for. Disregard the number on the front of the curriculum package.
Having said that, I personally wouldn't do workbooks for a child that age. I really prefer a Charlotte Mason approach for littles because it really does understand developmentally appropriate activities, like you mentioned with the writing.
TeeterTotter
by Member on May. 7, 2017 at 12:05 PM
I would follow his lead with the reading, and allow to free draw/write as he likes, but keep it just play, no expectations. :) I have a kinder who's reading along with her older brother (her writing skill is more advanced than his also), but in spite of that, am keeping her in kindy.

I feel like although she could definitely handle things her older brother is doing and joins in on his lesson-work happily by choice (makes her own journal pages beside him, mimics summaries and letter practice, reads the same Bob books, etc), emotionally and physically she still needs what kindy offers- the gentler stories, crafts and chores, and lots and lots of play instead of the formal lessons her older brother has begun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)