Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Little Birds

Posted by on May. 22, 2017 at 3:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son has had an education about wildlife through the swallows nest on our back porch.   This is the third set of eggs we watched hatch, as they come back every year (and generally nest twice a season).   Last year we got to see all of the first nest learn to fly (and one fly into our open door -- I had to catch him to evict him from the house).  Sadly, we saw the harsher side of nature on our second nest....sometimes a male swallow who don't find a mate will throw baby birds out of their nest in hopes that the mom will try again with him.   My son found one alive on the ground and covered it with his hand until I woke up and we put it back in the nest, but sadly the male came back and finished it off.  HARD LESSON.   Nature is not always nice.

But happily this year's nest is doing fine and the birds are big enough that they are almost ready to fly and getting crowded. 

Got a really good video of them here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHpDrfBImQ

by on May. 22, 2017 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on May. 24, 2017 at 4:08 AM

Cool. Thanks for the video.

shadowmoon
by on May. 24, 2017 at 1:28 PM

That's sad but the video was nice.    Are you going to do any more studies on wildlife this upcoming school year?

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on May. 25, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Maybe...it depends what wildlife shows up :-)

Quoting shadowmoon:

That's sad but the video was nice.    Are you going to do any more studies on wildlife this upcoming school year?

coala
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2017 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

AWWW!

We have been watching baby cardinals, baby mourning doves, and baby titmice this year.  Our feeder pole broke a couple of weeks ago and I think they are eating somewhere else now.  We also have a cat stalking our yard for birds, so they don't feel safe eating on the ground.

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jun. 6, 2017 at 1:19 PM

Very cool (and very uncool about the cat...that's too bad).

Quoting coala:

AWWW!

We have been watching baby cardinals, baby mourning doves, and baby titmice this year.  Our feeder pole broke a couple of weeks ago and I think they are eating somewhere else now.  We also have a cat stalking our yard for birds, so they don't feel safe eating on the ground.

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jun. 6, 2017 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, the birds have flown....though they came back and slept in the nest for a while (and fought over it...I could not tell if it was the mom or another fledgling, but one actually pulled another out of the nest by their wing).  They also kept begging for food from their mom and even from each other, but she was having none of it.  She is back and looks like she's prepping the nest for a new set.

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jun. 11, 2017 at 11:36 PM

New eggs in the nest!  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)