Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone use a cyber program, or does everyone do it all on their own?

I just registered DD for cyber.
by on Jun. 9, 2017 at 4:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
coala
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2017 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't cyber school, but we stream video's that were done inside of a classroom for that grade and subject.  We like our program and it has worked wonderfuly for us.

We are a very welcoming group!!  We are here and happy to answer any questions you may have.  We all do things a little different from each other.  There is no right or wrong way to homeschool as long as you are doing what works for your children and your family.  The goal is to see them learn to love learning.

SLM016
by Member on Jun. 24, 2017 at 7:57 AM

We use Connections Academy and love them. 

TellMeBoutIt
by Member on Jun. 24, 2017 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
That's who we signed up with!😁

Quoting SLM016:

mommy404204
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2017 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I've done cyber school for two years so far in September we will begin our third year. I've been told by more than one person on here that cyber school isn't really home school which drives me crazy. I have a 7 and 10 year old that will be in 2nd and 5th grade this year. I think there should be a group on here for cyber school mom's since some homeschooling mom's don't accept how we school our kids.
gramabrenda
by Member on Jul. 13, 2017 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
As a parent you have to make the choices you believe are best for your child. There may be times that a cyber school works best for you. But as a teacher with a Psychology major I would say that having a child's learning experience consist of nothing but a cyber school does not make a healthy learning enviroment.

Recent discoveries are finding out that children who are attending the video/cyber schools truly DO lack social skills. A visual learner might benefit academically from a cyber school but the lack of real human teaching/action something is definitely missing in the school process for a tactile leaner especially. Think about a young child learning in the lecture style of college classrooms. They are simply not ready for that.

I did online classes for my BS degree. It worked for me because I had a solid academic background, I had access to my professors and still had to do some work on campus.

I have spoken with some people who were using the ABEKA video lessons. They really liked them at first but then as the child progressed they realized that the education was not complete when a child is left with a computer/screen for all of their learning experiences.

I will pray for you as you work thru this. You are a good mom who is obviously trying to do the best for your child. Thanks for asking the question.
TellMeBoutIt
by Member on Jul. 13, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Fortunately, the program that I have chosen will keep her active and social. We have a parent meeting this week to set up the activities and field trips for the upcoming year. I will have access to contact information for local families to arrange more outings. She may also be involved in acting jobs this year, so being in a cyber program will make that easier. The stress for her wasn't good for any of us. I was worried about her being worried!😔 We hope to move to another district soon, so hopefully, things will be better there. Thank you.

Quoting gramabrenda:
As a parent you have to make the choices you believe are best for your child. There may be times that a cyber school works best for you. But as a teacher with a Psychology major I would say that having a child's learning experience consist of nothing but a cyber school does not make a healthy learning enviroment.

Recent discoveries are finding out that children who are attending the video/cyber schools truly DO lack social skills. A visual learner might benefit academically from a cyber school but the lack of real human teaching/action something is definitely missing in the school process for a tactile leaner especially. Think about a young child learning in the lecture style of college classrooms. They are simply not ready for that.

I did online classes for my BS degree. It worked for me because I had a solid academic background, I had access to my professors and still had to do some work on campus.

I have spoken with some people who were using the ABEKA video lessons. They really liked them at first but then as the child progressed they realized that the education was not complete when a child is left with a computer/screen for all of their learning experiences.

I will pray for you as you work thru this. You are a good mom who is obviously trying to do the best for your child. Thanks for asking the question.
mommaof697
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM

Here in WI it is technically illegal but people do it. I do not. I do my own thing.

TellMeBoutIt
by Member on Jul. 23, 2017 at 8:44 PM

Quoting debramommyof4: I have done k12 in the past and my oldest will be doing most of her core subjects online this next year through Acellus. We choose what is best for our family and our children and for you right now that might be cyber school one day it might be different and that's ok. You are welcome here of course.

I just created a Cyber School Moms group!  Please join and let's start a community specific to us!  :-)

TellMeBoutIt
by Member on Jul. 23, 2017 at 8:45 PM

Quoting SLM016:

I just started a Cyber School Moms group!  Please join!  ;-)

TellMeBoutIt
by Member on Jul. 23, 2017 at 8:46 PM

I just started Cyber School Moms.  Please join!  :-)

Quoting mommy404204: I've done cyber school for two years so far in September we will begin our third year. I've been told by more than one person on here that cyber school isn't really home school which drives me crazy. I have a 7 and 10 year old that will be in 2nd and 5th grade this year. I think there should be a group on here for cyber school mom's since some homeschooling mom's don't accept how we school our kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)