Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What worked this year? What didn't?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2017 at 6:30 PM
  • 2 Replies

Looking back at the last year of homeschooling, what worked for you, what didn't?  (Curriculum, schedules, methods, whatever...going really broad here.)

by on Jun. 13, 2017 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jun. 13, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Sharing my own answer to this...

Starting a month early last summer in stead of working late to catch up...that was GREAT.  So much better.  (Though we have been working late to catch up a little this summer, but mainly because he's still interested...last summer at this time he and I were both burned out). 

Adding my middle child as a homeschooler...sadly didn't work.  :-(   Public school works for him and we're sticking with that.

Story of the World continues to work...in fact, it's working better for us than it even did a year ago, as my son's attention span grows.  I was wondering last year if he was retaining anything, but this year I'm seeing how the built in "review" (where the author will refer back to places and events already covered) helps with that.   And the  times I've used other sources (like for a few things she skipped over that I wanted to cover) have made me appreciate how good her writing is...how it keeps my son engaged. 

What isn't working as well as I hoped was doing Story of the World in co-op.  I thought it would be great to do activities with other kids, but mostly my son hasn't wanted to participate much, and mainly only wanted to go to play with the other kids after SOTW was over.  And it all went kabust half way through the year anyways as parents got overloaded with other things.    Though, frankly, the times I taught I really enjoyed it...made me remember what I love about teaching groups.

Math U See continued to not work for us...except the manipulatives, which I used apart from the lessons.  Addition Facts that Stick and Subtraction Facts that Stick is working!

All About Spelling continues to rock.

Combining science and history whenever possible has been going great!

Involving my teen by paying him to make funny educational powerpoints to teach  lessons to my youngest...LOVING THAT!   He's saving up for something and it is totally worth the money spent.   I'm also paying him to teach my youngest cello...which is way cheeper than music lessons.

luvmyfidgets
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2017 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to keep the schedule that we've used the past couple years, which is having the kids work on one subject for 25 minutes, and then a 5 minute break, and a longer 30 min break worked in between. It keeps them on task and they get more work done with each subject instead of them reading for 5 minutes and moving to the next thing.

I'm going to quit using the computer for some subjects. We were using Khan Academy and Duolingo and Coursera for the oldest, but they kept getting caught on other websites not doing their work, or not getting stuff done, so it's back to some books.

I am going to switch to Saxon Math this year, which we've used in the past and it's good. We're also going to use Mystery of History this year, which we've also used in the past and really enjoyed it. We had to quit because the 4th book wasn't completed but now it is so I'm really looking forward to it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)