Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So much for our 'first day'

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:28 PM
Kim
  • 7 Replies
We go through a charter and our official first day is Monday. Well my son had an anaphylactic reaction to a food on Friday night and so the allergist wants to test the ingredients we used to see which one caused it (we think it is a cross contamination issue, if he tests positive it means something contains peanuts or tree nuts & we have to contact the company)

Then after that he has an appointment with a therapist due to his anxiety around the event.

So that will be our morning. I'm thinking of bringing read alouds and an educational game and calling it 'attended'.
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Aug. 9, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Yeah...not much to do about that, is there?   Even kids in public school get days off for doctor's visits.  Maybe get a note from the doctor for records excusing him for the day?

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Aug. 9, 2017 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
We are in doctors offices a lot, we are all sick and get sinus infections or need extra medicine for our asthma, so we're kind of used to it but it's more difficult because I don't have our routine established yet.

The allergy test will take 45 minutes to an hour & we'll be sitting around for most of that, so they decided they will do a handwriting page in the waiting room then we will do phonics and reading while we wait. That plus a science booklet and we'll be done with day 1 :). I think that's more than public school kids do on day one!

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Yeah...not much to do about that, is there?   Even kids in public school get days off for doctor's visits.  Maybe get a note from the doctor for records excusing him for the day?

braxma14
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 10:58 AM

BUMP!

Quakercaoimhe
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 9:57 PM

I hate when you're trying to get an actual routine established, and then everything completely ruins that effort lol

I hope he's feeling better now 

AmaliaD
by on Aug. 11, 2017 at 10:01 PM
If he were attending traditional school he would take that day off. I don't think any teacher would recommend bringing him in or expecting him to work after allergy tests. That could make you feel awful. Are they testing him by giving the ingredients to him?
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Aug. 12, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Quoting Quakercaoimhe:

I hate when you're trying to get an actual routine established, and then everything completely ruins that effort lolI hope he's feeling better now 

Hahaha a week before school started for us DH is like... I have to go to Vegas now. Want to come? And I'm thinking... My schedule!! (It was supposed to be this past week in only our second week of school.) We ended up not going with DH because it wasn't worth it to switch hotels and I wanted a non-smoking hotel (hotel was already set), but worked out better so we could keep our routine that we're establishing thus far. As we get more into it I can work around it, but...not the second week! LOL.

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Aug. 12, 2017 at 4:50 PM
They are using the suspected product (Almond flour) to create a skin scratch test. If he tests positive to that, then it means that the flour has peanuts or another tree nut in it (other than the Almond - he's not allergic to almonds but is allergic to all other tree nuts and peanuts). It would be too dangerous to feed him anything with the flour in it - each biscotti had probably 4-5 tablespoons of the Almond flour in it and it sent him to the ER

Quoting AmaliaD: If he were attending traditional school he would take that day off. I don't think any teacher would recommend bringing him in or expecting him to work after allergy tests. That could make you feel awful. Are they testing him by giving the ingredients to him?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)