Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handwriting Help

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2017 at 1:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

I homeschool my youngest but my two oldest boys have always attended public school.  This is actually for help for them.   They are 14 and 12.  The 14 year old doesn't have particularly great writing, but I can read it.  My 12 year old's handwriting is so bad I really struggle to read what it says.  I'm thinking of letting the 14 year olds go as is...he's so stubborn I doubt I'd get him to change his ways now, and he would really resent the time spent on this.  

But the 12 year old's writing is bad enough that I feel like we need to do something about it.   

• He has some letters misformed.
  • He doesn't write on the line...his writing goes up and down between the two lines like waves, making it really hard to read.
  • His spacing is horrible.  We've worked on this before so it's gotten a little better, but when he's writing quickly it will look like one long word.

Any suggestions for methods of correcting his writing at this point?  Has anyone here attempted correcting writing problems in a an older child?  

by on Aug. 9, 2017 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Aug. 9, 2017 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
What about buying a handwriting without tears book? I mean, it may *seem* silly but it'll be his easiest 'subject' and will teach him how to write the letters correctly. I think the 2nd grade one is manuscript, I think they change to cursive in 3rd. But the important part is that it teaches you letter formation. It'll take him less than 5 minutes a day to do 1-2 pages.
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh. Mine used to have great writing, and now that he's 14 and lazy it's horrible. And yes, sometimes his writing goes off the lines or there are spacing issues, just because he doesn't want to put effort into anything. I warned him though if I can't read it it's going to be marked wrong.

Is your son taking his time or just being lazy like mine? No suggestions, just wanted you to know it's most likely a boy thing rather than a "doesn't know how" thing (except maybe the letter formations.)

Redhen16
by on Aug. 12, 2017 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you talked with his teacher about this?  Maybe she could help him or suggest a way for you to work with him.  He might put more effort into it if she helped him see it needs to improve.  Or...she might assure you that it is normal at his age.  Blessings to you, sweet mama.

Angela4boys
by Member on Aug. 24, 2017 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to be honest, at this age, I don't know that I would.   If I did, I would probably try to "teach" him either cursive, if he mostly prints, because it's hard to change what you already know, OR, I would have him do copy work.  I have two kids that struggle with penmanship.  One I suspect dysgraphia, and the other is a lefty.  I see great improvement in their writing with copy work (which they both hate...probably because it's a challenge).   There is a curriculum called "writing through history" that I like for the fact that it's not babyish.  It's Charlotte Mason style, so it's good quality literature, and copy work passages.  Its really meant for elementary school, but definitely could be used for older students.  

Or, you could just let it go....my husband is also a lefty, and has terrible penmanship.  I can barely read it.  The fact of the matter is, we really hardly ever write with pen and paper.  This is the digital age :)  I don't see that changing in the years ahead.

ginene
by Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Have him write about something daily that interest him. If it's videos, youtube, basketball, swimming etc, things that he wants to write about might help him enjoy it. Also let this be something you don't correct but tell him it's something you want to read. It improved my sons handwriting. I also have my son do other writing assignments that I will correct (like spelling words or writing a letter)but his daily writings he just write whatever. Sort of like a diary but don't tell him that lol.

Yesterday I told him to write down instructions for me on how to play minecraft. The day before I said if you were a super hero, who would you be? You can also google fun writing assignments so you can get good ideas. Make it fun for him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)