Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Classes in the fall

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2017 at 9:10 PM
Kim
  • 9 Replies
What classes are your kids signing up for this fall? And when do you prefer they take classes (weekdays? During the day or after school?)

My kids, age 4 & 6, are both doing swimming 2 times a week. My 6 year old is doing an art class and a STEM based science class once a week each. They want to both take a class at the local zoo once a month as well, I'm pretty sure I'll sign them up but am disappointed that it's on the weekend.

I prefer afternoon weekday classes for my kids, so we can get some school stuff done at home before we head out for the day. 3 out of 4 of the classes they are taking are mid-week in the early afternoons, which I like.

by on Aug. 9, 2017 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
autismpirate
by Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 12:01 AM

We so the SCA so it is year round, other than that we have Fighter Practice for the 17 yr old DD twice a week and Archery practice for both DD (8 and 17) once a week as well.

mcginnisc
by Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 7:58 AM

Same as always: Karate.. They do it year round and it is several times per week for both of them. 

On Mondays we have music school through a homeschool music group. We are there from 9-4 every Monday except on break weeks. They take 4 classes each ( band, choir, ASL, musical drama) so there is no work done on that day. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Aug. 11, 2017 at 5:16 PM
How do they like it? My kids want to do marital arts but it's $150/month for each of them. I set up a birthday party for them to try it out (it's my son's bday) but idk if it's worth the $$$ for a whole month

Quoting mcginnisc:

Same as always: Karate.. They do it year round and it is several times per week for both of them. 

On Mondays we have music school through a homeschool music group. We are there from 9-4 every Monday except on break weeks. They take 4 classes each ( band, choir, ASL, musical drama) so there is no work done on that day. 

mcginnisc
by Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 5:43 PM

My oldest started 2 months after she turned 4...she is now a 2nd degree black belt and will be 12 in November..she is slightly obsessed. My youngest started when she was 4.5..she is not obsessed like Lilly is, but she likes it. 

Martial Arts is the BEST thing you can ever do for your kids IMO. It is sooooo worth the thousands of dollars we have spent in the past 7.5 years. The kids learn self discipline, self control, gain more self esteem, and the bonus is they learn self defense. Let's put it this way... my tiny kiddo can put her 200+ lb Sensei on the ground. 

I'm going to try to post a video in another response of my oldest...

Quoting collinsmommy0: How do they like it? My kids want to do marital arts but it's $150/month for each of them. I set up a birthday party for them to try it out (it's my son's bday) but idk if it's worth the $$$ for a whole month
Quoting mcginnisc:

Claire

mcginnisc
by Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 5:51 PM

https://www.facebook.com/mcginnisc/videos/10211074954290518/

Claire

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Aug. 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Quoting collinsmommy0: How do they like it? My kids want to do marital arts but it's $150/month for each of them. I set up a birthday party for them to try it out (it's my son's bday) but idk if it's worth the $$$ for a whole month
Quoting mcginnisc:

Do you have a limited number of schools in your area? That's pretty pricey. Some can be more in the $80-$100 range, but you'd have to check around. And don't forget, there will be expenses for testing (that gets more expensive as they move up, at least at all the places I've attended (i.e. mine started at $50 and by the time you get to black belt testing can be $300-$500 or more).

JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 7:17 PM
Mondays- dd dances then we have trail life/heritage girls Oh and violin twice a month
Tuesdays- nothing!
Wednesdays- dd speech, awana
Thursdays- ds hip hop
Fridays- dd dances twice her solo and a class
coala
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 1:39 PM

We aren't doing anything yet, outside of their speedskating practices.  I can't get my kids interested in doing anything else.  It's like pulling teeth for them to pick a camp for a week in the summer.  If our coach offers private lessons I ask him if he can do 1 hour before he starts with the rest (kids in school).  That actually gives me time to get back home, cook dinner, finish work, the kids chores done, and then get back to practice at 7.

Angela4boys
by Member on Aug. 24, 2017 at 7:45 AM

Three of my kids take choir on Tuesdays from 3-5pm.  We do our Science labs at the museums which are generally weekday mornings.  We take various history, nature and science classes at our county and state parks and historical sites...which tend to be weekdays, during the day.  We live in a very homeschool friendly place (NC), so we have many daytime options available to us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)