Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too early to start?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2017 at 12:58 AM
  • 6 Replies
When did you start homeschooling? My son is 5 and has ADHD and anxiety. He has a hard time doing tasks that require mental effort and it's a fight. Should I wait for formal homeschool or make him start now? I don't want him to think he can use his ADHD as an out for doing things he doesn't wanna do but at the same time I think he is still so young
by on Aug. 15, 2017 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bethbeth
by Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 1:54 AM

We will start about the same time as our regular school district the first week of September. But you can start whenever you like. Some people start early so they can take more breaks. Or you can finish early.  Or you could start now and just start with one subject for the first week. Or start some fun activities that require sitting down as practice for school, like art projects. There are so many options, and you get to do whatever you like!

The nice thing about Kindergarten is that you really can do it in 30-60 minutes a day. Again, your choice. And you can make things fun, and learn while running around the room or jumping on the bed, or walking around outside. It may take some time to figure out what things work well and what kind of schedule is best for your family. 

mommaof697
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

At 5 I did fun learning with my kids. We did a letter a day. one day of the week they had to go around and the house and outside and find all the stuff that begin with that letter. We ate dinner and everything began with that letter. they decorated that letter.

I taped shapes to the floor and they had to to do to the right shape. Now with all the colors of tape you could do colors that way as well. 

I would let him stand up to do his school, get him a fidget spinner so he has something to do with his hands. 

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I suggest the book "Better Late Than Early" by Dr Raymond Moore. He recommends delaying formal education.

There's actually no basis in research for public school compulsory attendance at age 5 or 6. In Finland, children don't start school till 7. No preschool, nothing till 7. And they have one of the most successful education systems in the world.

It's not about using his ADHD as a loophole, it's realizing that developmentally, he just isn't ready.
coala
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

We started at 3 1/2 with uor ADHD child.  We don't allow that diagnosis to control any aspect of her life.  It is a reason that she has a hard time following directions that are longer than 1 at a time.  We started medicationg in June and it was a turning point for us.  She was almost 9 when we agreed to medications.

I did find that if my DD could be active (stand, walk, bounce, roll around on the floor) it actually helped keep her engaged with what we were talking about.

Redhen16
by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 9:21 PM

I would focus mainly on encouraging your son to love learning at this stage..Pay close attention to what excites him and help him learn all he can about that.  One of the great things about home schooling is the freedom to explore!  Just give him lots of thinking and learning time. Blessings to you, sweet mama!

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Aug. 21, 2017 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
We started with curriculum last year with my 6 year old. Handwriting without tears for learning to write, all about reading for phonics, and Singapore for math. It worked well last year. I'm glad I started last year because first grade is a lot more difficult than kinder was, and now he knows the routine and is familiar with how we do 'school' (which is about an hour a day this year)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)