Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sick days

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2017 at 7:27 PM
Kim
  • 7 Replies
What do you do on sick days?

My kids like art and science so many days if I am sick we focus on those topics. And when they are sick too lol.

Both of my kids are sick right now. We've stayed home all week (they have fevers and coughing) and my oldest had to do the nebulizer 3-4 times a day while he's sick (for asthma). We've spent the week watching videos, playing on reading eggs, and doing small art projects.
by on Sep. 7, 2017 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Angela4boys
by Member on Sep. 7, 2017 at 8:13 PM
Sounds perfect to me. It always depends on the degree of illness. A simple cold, we do not usually make adjustments. If it's fevers, we would probably just stay in bed, let them rest, watch movies, and not even necessarily "do school."
Bethbeth
by Member on Sep. 8, 2017 at 2:16 AM

I think you just gotta use your gut feeling about what to do. Sometimes it works great to do school when you are stuck at home....sick, a snow day, a holiday like labor day when you don't have any plans....sure go ahead and do school. And sometimes you just need to rest and watch too much tv and get better. That is one of the great parts about homeschooling.

mmtosam06
by New Member on Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:09 AM
DD just got over being sick. So later today it's catch up time
mommaof697
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2017 at 12:24 PM

I usually ask them to do what they can by themselves or ask a sibliing to help them. 

I have a kid that gets a headache every day I make him still do his work. They don't get out of school unless they are vomiting. 

stormie1985
by Member on Sep. 8, 2017 at 12:35 PM
My asthmatic and I have been sick with horrible upper respiratory infections for about a month. The other 3 kids have been sick about 2 weeks. And I'm due in less than 3 weeks with baby 5. We just kind of do what we want throughout the day, but we have been taking a more relaxed, unschooling, approach this year. Right now the oldest is practicing the piano, the next has been reading Harry Potter and doing math, and the two boys are mercifully playing on abc mouse right now. We will not be back to officially schooling until probably Christmas time at this point.
coala
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2017 at 12:48 PM

My kids usually crawl into bed with a book and just read and nap when they don't feel well.  When I'm sick they can usually continue with their regular work.

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Sep. 10, 2017 at 12:05 PM

I usually just work my schedule around it AND if DS is only "kind of" sick with a touch of a cold or something, then give him light work and find a way to combine stuff he misses later on. Usually we've only had to have him miss a day or two at a time so it's never been a huge issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)