Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Free & Official homeschooling?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 9:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

I want to homeschool my DD until 2nd grade. However, I can't seem to find anything online where I can do it officially for free. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
libbybell
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 9:52 PM
Some states have K12. I believe it is a free online program.
Bethbeth
by Member on Sep. 14, 2017 at 12:21 AM

I am not sure what you mean by "officially".

Are you looking for a program that you are enrolled in like K12? Doing this you are legally not homeschooling because you are enrolled in a school and have to do exactly what they require.

Or looking for some free curriculum online that you can use however you like in your homeschool, like Easy Peasy all in one homeschool?

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2017 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a little confused over the "officially " part. Depending on the laws in your state, anything g you do is official because you're the parent, so you can officially teach her.

Homeschooling doesn't have to cost a fortune. In the early years,it's actually shouldn't cost anything, really. A library card, an imagination, lots of time out in nature, and free play is the ultimate early childhood education.
By 2nd grade, you can add a more formal math curriculum, but those can be had fairly inexpensively.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Sep. 14, 2017 at 1:39 PM

I'll second everyone else on the "officially" part...not sure what that means.  There's no "official" way to homeschool...you do what you want, though you do need to consult your state's laws because some laws require certain things (like covering certain topics or spending a certain amount of hours). 

As for free resources, here is a good list of free curriculum:  http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2016/07/complete-curriculum-for-free.html

Here is another:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/638531-free-homeschool-curriculum-resources/

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Sep. 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM
TigressLily
by New Member on Sep. 14, 2017 at 7:33 PM
By official, I mean reporting that she's being homeschooled instead of anyone thinking she's just not in school, and grades etc.
Angela4boys
by Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 7:17 AM
You need to find out your state laws. In my state, you don't register as a homeschool until your child is 7. You can homeschool them before that, but you won't be registered.

As for the "free" part...you can certainly homeschool free. There are plenty of options out there.

Quoting TigressLily: By official, I mean reporting that she's being homeschooled instead of anyone thinking she's just not in school, and grades etc.
mcginnisc
by Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 7:58 AM

You have to look at your state's laws for this.. we can't help you for this one. 

For instance, I'm in Georgia. I have to submit a Declaration of Intent by Sept. 1st or no later than 30 days after beginning homeschooling that year. I have to get 180 days of school days per year and state test in 3rd, 6th,9th, and 12th grades. 

Some states are very hands off like GA and TX.. others require that you meet with the school board quarterly, hand in proof of work, etc.. you have to look at your state laws to see if you are willing to comply with them before taking the plunge. Also, keep in mind that some states do NOT allow homeschoolers to take part in ANY public school activities or access curriculum and some states do. Georgia does not.. if you homeschool in GA, you are on your own for everything. Also, in GA- cyber school is not considered homeschooling- it is considered charter school so you have to see if your state recognizes online schooling as public school or homeschooling. 

Quoting TigressLily: By official, I mean reporting that she's being homeschooled instead of anyone thinking she's just not in school, and grades etc.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 9:33 AM
What does your state require? Go to HSLDA to find your state's regulations. In Texas, I don't register with anyone and I don't report to anyone. There are a few states with this level of freedom, and a few that are a bit more regulated.
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:46 PM
I would check your state laws. In California, there are 3 ways for us to homeschool. We do it through a charter - the charter school sends us a teacher once a month where we discuss curriculum and activities that we've done, and we hand in samples. The charter school provides us funds for curriculum and classes as well as a resource center that we can use.

Some areas have resources for homeschoolers - our county has a homeschool center where you can check things out for $80/year or teach classes for a free membership. So definitely check for resources!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)