Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Writing practice

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:40 AM
  • 3 Replies
We are starting pre-k/kinder homeschool now. He's behind in some areas so I'm hoping to get him on grade level in the next few years. My son has some dexterity issues and gets overwhelmed easily (autism/SPD). I'm searching and searching and not really finding what I want to help him with learning to write numbers and letters. Trying to find printables to trace numbers and letters, but only one per page so he doesn't get overwhelmed and we can go through one number and one letter per week and revolve other activities around those as well. Planning to laminate and use as a trace and wipe with dry erase markers. Anyone know of a good source to find these? I love the lakeshore learning card sets, but $20 is a bit much when mixed in with everything else we are spending.
by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I highly recommend handwriting without tears. You don't have to laminate it......it's a 'how to write your letters' handwriting book. They have a teacher guide if you want it (I never used it) but if he has some difficulties I would have him do a page then do activities to reinforce it that are fun (make the letter with play doh, make a letter in a tray of shaving cream or sand, paint the letter, write the letter in the air, etc). You can also do some other activities to increase the muscles in his fingers, such as theraputty, play doh, beading activities, and other fine motor activities (painting, finger painting, playing with legos, etc).

I find that the handwriting without tears book is well worth the $20. My son is in his 3rd year of doing it (prek, kinder, now in first grade) and he has great handwriting (when he tries lol)
MomLeslieM
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 1:50 PM

I agree with using Handwriting without Tears :-)  ALSO check out "teachers pay teachers" website -- you may find something free there.  I always found some good stuff by adding "free homeschool" to my search terms.  You can always make your own too! :-)

I WOULD caution you some though as a Mom of 2 SN kids including dysgraphia, sensory issues, ASD, etc, etc. that if he is Pre-K age he may not be READY to write yet -- boys are later anyway with fine motor skills and esp. when you add in the  SN issues.  And honestly, that's the beauty of homeschooling - you can do what he's ready for when he's ready - nothing says you "have to" do ABC's in K and learn multiplication in 3rd grade!!

MamaMomMommy
by New Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 3:11 AM

Search Letter Tracing on Pinterest and you will find loads. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)