Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten Spelling Words Schedule?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 7:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

Mobile Photo

Can I please get some advice on the schedule I have currently set up for spelling words? The top word after each date is review of the bonus word, which is the last word in each week, only given when there is no review. Any advice is appreciated!
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bethbeth
by Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:59 AM

You didn't post your schedule???

Is your child already reading well? The spelling curriculum we use says not to start spelling until you are reading well.

TigressLily
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 9:55 AM
Oops, on my phone, forgot to click add image after uploading. Thanks! It is added now.
Yes, she is reading rather well and we've finished one week of words so far and she is recognizing those words everywhere now.

Quoting Bethbeth:

You didn't post your schedule???

Is your child already reading well? The spelling curriculum we use says not to start spelling until you are reading well.

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 11:00 AM
I didn't do "spelling" as a subject. We learned very organically. It's generally not recommended to try to do spelling until around maybe age 7-8 anyway.

It's like when they're babies,you don't expect walking to happen until crawling and standing are happening, right? So reading well is a precursor to spelling. So unless your little one has been reading since 3, I'd seriously hold off on spelling.
autismpirate
by Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 6:08 PM

I am the same way, we don't do seperate spelling, she learns that with hand writing, reading, etc.  I originially did some spelling with my oldest daughter, but not until she was about 8 or so, and at that point she had a lot of success because of the more organic nature in which we started (the handwriting, etc).

Also, when  have known people who do a seperate spelling 'class' they do words that sound alike and are short, especially for that age.....I.E. Rat, Cat, Bat, Hat, Mat, etc.

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Sep. 28, 2017 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not a bad list...however, after using All About Spelling for a while, I see the benifit of teaching spelling by spelling rule, not by random word lists to memorize.  The benifit is that a child can learn one rule and then be able to spell a number of words by it.   They explain why they do this in the link below.   It just makes a whole lot of sense.   Memorized lists are often easy for children to learn and then forget but when they learn spelling rules it tends to stick better.  Plus a child can learn more words in a shorter amount of time this way.

https://blog.allaboutlearningpress.com/spelling-lists/

coala
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:34 PM

Our spelling curriculum started out using spelling rules.  As they have gotten older the lists start becoming more focused.  It incorporates new types of words they will encounter in their Language, Science, History, and Health classes.  It's been really great.  My ODD's most recent list covered careers.  It touched on about 30 different careers between spelling and vocabulary words.

Quoting Scribbleprints:

It's not a bad list...however, after using All About Spelling for a while, I see the benifit of teaching spelling by spelling rule, not by random word lists to memorize.  The benifit is that a child can learn one rule and then be able to spell a number of words by it.   They explain why they do this in the link below.   It just makes a whole lot of sense.   Memorized lists are often easy for children to learn and then forget but when they learn spelling rules it tends to stick better.  Plus a child can learn more words in a shorter amount of time this way.

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Sep. 30, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Yes, I think that once you've taught the spelling rules topical lists make a lot of sense...sort of combining vocabulary with spelling.   I was just looking at the age and her list and thinking it would make more sense to teach those type of words as you teach the rules that apply to them.  :-)

What curriculum do you use?  Just curious.

Quoting coala:

Our spelling curriculum started out using spelling rules.  As they have gotten older the lists start becoming more focused.  It incorporates new types of words they will encounter in their Language, Science, History, and Health classes.  It's been really great.  My ODD's most recent list covered careers.  It touched on about 30 different careers between spelling and vocabulary words.

Quoting Scribbleprints:

coala
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2017 at 10:37 AM

We use ABeka.

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Yes, I think that once you've taught the spelling rules topical lists make a lot of sense...sort of combining vocabulary with spelling.   I was just looking at the age and her list and thinking it would make more sense to teach those type of words as you teach the rules that apply to them.  :-)

What curriculum do you use?  Just curious.

Quoting coala:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Oct. 3, 2017 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
That seems like a lot. We just started all about spelling level 1 & I love it. We go at our own pace, it builds upon itself, etc

I see a mix of sight and random words as being very frustrating.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)