Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just have a few questions about homeschooling...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi, I am Haylee and I am a 26 year old mom with a 2 year old daughter Lillianne Jane. I was going to go to work (I am a divorced mama) when she was old enough for kindergarten. But I know a few people who homeschool and I know thy love it. So here are my questions:

Can a single mom homeschool their child?

Is it worth it?

Will Lilli learn as much?

Will she have any friends?

And if I do decide to homeschool her, should I gether into a weekly homeschool enrichment class?

I am sorry I joined this group just to ask questions. But she is my first child and I am a bit over concerned when it comes to Lilli's health, education and development. Thanks.

by on Oct. 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LancesMom
by on Oct. 12, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Can a single mom homeschool their child?  I think they can.

Is it worth it? Its very rewarding!

Will Lilli learn as much? I think she will and more!

Will she have any friends? You can get her into many classes, like music, dance etc... 

And if I do decide to homeschool her, should I gether into a weekly homeschool enrichment class? If you have a local one, you can try and always change your mind later!

Do what works for you and your child. If you aren't happy you can always make changes! 

HayleeandLilli
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 10:56 AM

Thanks. We are in multiple mommy and me classes, but only 2 moms are planning on keeeping their kids home.

Quoting LancesMom:

Can a single mom homeschool their child?  I think they can.

Is it worth it? Its very rewarding!

Will Lilli learn as much? I think she will and more!

Will she have any friends? You can get her into many classes, like music, dance etc... 

And if I do decide to homeschool her, should I gether into a weekly homeschool enrichment class? If you have a local one, you can try and always change your mind later!

Do what works for you and your child. If you aren't happy you can always make changes! 

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Oct. 13, 2017 at 2:45 AM

First of all, you're more than welcome to be in this group and ask all the questions you want, so don't apologize.

That said, to answer you questions

1) Yes, I have heard of single moms who homeschool. Somehow they work around having to go to work and fitting in schooling, but it gets done.That's one of the benefits of homeschooling though - you can do school at times that aren't "typical" (evenings) or even days that one normally wouldn't (i.e. Saturdays).

2) Yes, it's worth it. You can go at their pace, cater to their interests, go more in depth with their favorite subjects, and get to see their progress for yourself.

3) Homeschooling isn't easy. You still have to put effort into it and do your part. But yes, she can learn as much,and probably more than if she's in regular school.

4) Yes, she can have friends, but this part does take a bit of work - at least on our part it does. If there are neighborhood friends (we don't really have that for my son) you have those kids close, but you can also sign her up for classes and activities, join meetup groups for homeschoolers that have gatherings and field trips, go to library for events (we used to see a lot of the same people at the ones ours had), meet people at church or your place or worship, if you have one, etc.

5) I guess the homeschool enrichment thing is up to you. We've never really done anything like that, and I'm not sure what they consist of, but we signed my son up for various classes with the city - art, music, science, etc.

A lot of places have homeschool co-ops, but it's up to you whether that will fit into your schedule and whether it's something you want to do (a lot require that you teach so your children can attend classes with other parents as teachers, and that's not something I wanted to commit to.) From the experiences I've heard on here, it sounds like they can come with a lot of drama.

gramabrenda
by Member on Oct. 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM
You didn't have nearly as many as I did and you have come to the right place. I answer you from the experience of homeschooling my last two children/out of five, being a homeschool support teacher and homeschooling my grandson-now in the 3rd grade.
Can a single mom homeschool their child? It depends on the child, the Mom, the circumstances but I have seen lots of successful single Moms homeschool their offspring.
Is it worth it? This depends on what you are looking to value the experience. It is worth the time spent. It is worth the relationship. It is worth the results. Most of all it is worth doing "whatever" is best for your child.
Will Lilli learn as much? Most likely she will learn more as a one-on-one student than she would in a classroom, but again depends on the student and the teacher. She could have much broader experiences-my sons and my grandson do field trips and we do educational vacations and experience way beyond what any public school student could get during their nine (9) months of school. Not only do we learn but we get to apply what we learn right then. There is also a lot of character development and problem solving.
Will she have any friends? There is actually very little socializing that goes on in school these days. No talking in the halls, no talking at lunch, a little at recess (if they have one) and that leaves very little time from making friends so no matter where your child is schooled there needs to be effort made to develop friendships.
And if I do decide to homeschool her, should I get her into a weekly homeschool enrichment class? Sure can't hurt.
I am praying for you to find your own answers that will suit your unique situation. God bless you as you raise your daughter.
mommaof697
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM

Yes it is worth it. 

Yes she learn as much ... as you teach her. 

Yes she will have friends. she will have adult friends and friends her age and friends in between her and adult age and younger friends because when kids are homeschooled they learn to relate to people of all ages. 

As far as the enrichment classes... personally I could not do weekly because we would never be home. Usually homeschooling parents are so scared their kids won't have friends that they put them into everything sports, extracurriculars, all kiinds of stuff. We have homeschool group twice a month and it is a nice compromise. kids get their friends and you are not going to it every week. 

Yes single moms can homeschool. they can work to. I know 2 moms (out of my homeschool group of 4 mom including me) who both work part time and homeschool and have their kids in sports and extra activities. In my start there is no law on the time of day things need to be done. 

My oldest DD graduated from highschool being homeschooled her whole school careeer. She is 19.

graceandpeace35
by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:38 PM

I am not a single mom, but I totally think you can do it. We have found it possible to live off one income while homeschooling, with a larger family and make it work. If you have 2-4 hours a day you can devote to teaching you can do it! But at 2 you don't need to do formal school, just learn and enjoy life together. Talking about the abcs, numbers, shapes, colors, can all be incorporated into regular life. I think reading together daily is one of the best things you can do. With our family, we have seen God provide miraculously over and over when it should have been impossible! He does this!

I love homeschooling and my kiddos are generally very happy, upbeat and don't have social anxiety because they have never expeirenced being bullied. We do a co-op all day one day a week, they have church activities and other activities as well as playdates, theres a preschool (homeschool) co-op, theres playgroups, bible studies, mops... They have lots of friends and enjoy people very much! They are FAR better socially than I was because I was bullied SO badly, I was socially awkward and incredibley timid. My kiddos are mostly very extroverted.

I personally enjoy the homeschool groups, I love people and support, but thats a personal choice. 

May God bless you, guide you and give you great wisdom,

Mary

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Oct. 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM

Can a single mom homeschool their child? 

Yes.  I know one.   Her mom helps out (maybe not with the homeschool but with the watching her child, and bringing him to co-op, since our co-op requires a parent or guardian attends).  Her child is amazingly smart.   I've met a few other single moms who homeschool online.   Some get babysitting, others have teens who can stay home alone. 

Is it worth it?

That really depends on you and your family, what you want and need.  For me, it was worth it with my youngest (who needed it, and responded well to the way I taught), but not for my older two (one who didn't want to homeschool, and the other who did, but was thriving in public school...and mostly was just curious.  We gave it a try but it was too stressful for me...mainly because my husband wanted my older two in school after middle, so it would have only been one year, and there was not enough wiggle room to get used to things.  Starting with a kindergartener is much easier than jumping into 6th grade, but a little more wiggle room and less pressure on myself to get it perfect from the get-go would have made things easier).

Will Lilli learn as much?

Probably...but it doesn't have to be the same things they are doing in school. 

Will she have any friends?

Yes, unless don't have any kids in your neighborhood, don't set up any play-dates with friends friends, don't go to any activities like sports or girl-scouts, don't have any cousins or so forth she plays with, never attend church, and don't attend any homeschool co-ops or activities, and avoid the park during after school hours.  If you avoid all those you can avoid her having friends.     Really, it is so easy to make friends, especially if you get involved in the homeschool community in your area.  My homeschooler has more friends that he does more activities outside of school (or co-op) with on a regular basis than my two kids in public school.

And if I do decide to homeschool her, should I get her into a weekly homeschool enrichment class?

We attended co-op once a week and LOVED it.   It was a great way for my child to meet friends (but a homeschool park day or so forth can do the same).   And I loved that it was mostly the same homeschool kids year after year (with a little variety)...that allowed him to really get to know them better in stead of cycling in and out of friendships each year with each new class.  And he made friends of the same and different ages than him, which I think was really positive.  And I loved the other ladies who taught and attended...really helped me make "homeschool mom" friends too...and that was so good.   I'm not a big science person but my son fell in love with science in one of the co-op classes.   So it was positive all around.  Some find it a drain on time though.   I think it depends on the group, somewhat.  I did do two days a week for half a year and that was too much...interfered with getting stuff done at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)