Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unschooling?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 1:12 AM
  • 4 Replies
My hubby does tbe schoolong and I work. Recently we heard about unschooling and it sounds good i guess. But we need more info. Our dd is becoming bored with tradaitional hs.
How do you unschool while teaching the required subjects? What exactly is unschooling and any other help and advice
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Here's how I like to describe it; imagine a world where PS has never been invented. No one has ever heard of textbooks, worksheets,grade levels, desks,etc.

How would your child learn in such a world? What would your family time look like? How would you spend your time if school didn't exist? Unschoolers learn by doing. They learn by exploration. They live their lives. Libraries and museums, nature, the kitchen, it's all education.

Depending on your state, this can be easier or it can be tricky to document. In a high reg state, you have to get creative about documenting required courses.
autismpirate
by Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely love this discription!!!!!!

Quoting Leissaintexas: Here's how I like to describe it; imagine a world where PS has never been invented. No one has ever heard of textbooks, worksheets,grade levels, desks,etc. How would your child learn in such a world? What would your family time look like? How would you spend your time if school didn't exist? Unschoolers learn by doing. They learn by exploration. They live their lives. Libraries and museums, nature, the kitchen, it's all education. Depending on your state, this can be easier or it can be tricky to document. In a high reg state, you have to get creative about documenting required courses.

autismpirate
by Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

We have done traditional homeschooling forever and my 2 last kiddos learn so differently then my others.  We are just starting the unschool journey and i had / have a lot of fears but i trusted my gut and what i read and it is amazing the changes in 2 weeks.   They are engaged , they are learning stuff i never would have imagined, we are having the greatest discussions!!!!  Its simply mind blowing.

The hard part was the trusting my gut and realizing i had to get the whole 'public school does this' and 'omg will they be idiots' and 'what will others think' and 'will they be ok'...the answer is who cares what public school does, i went to public school..i remember very little and none of it prepared me for the medical job i did for 23 yrs, it was all self taught.  No your kids won't be idiots, kids want to learn and when they are interested in what they are learning its amazing to watch...just let them learn to micromanage them (another hard part lol).  I don't care what others think, my kids are my responsibility and i know they are growing and learning huge amounts of things.  They will be fine....

One of the coolest things so far (and we have only been doing the unschooling for about 1 month) was watching my older and younger daughters teaching each other things.....and the younger one completely engaged....and then she told my husband all about it and they had this cool discussion about it....that right there is priceless.   Trust me what she learned in that experiment she will remember whereas facts i tried to instill in her will likely melt away lol

My husband was a little on the fence he was like 'but they need the basics in math' i was like you're a welder, and you were welding when you were 5. Your dad taught you fractions and ratios, metal specifics and how they mix (chemistry) and so on...all before you even went to kindergarten......and he just stared at me...mind blown...but that's it, right there....we are so use to society saying 'kids must know....by xxxx or else they are idiots"...seriously.....I for one disagree.

Its scary as hell, i won't lie.  Its a lot of work.  Its the best thing i ever did.

Angela4boys
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

We F-unschool ;) 3 days a week using journals from The Thinking Tree.  They might check off your needs.  They do cover all of the "required subjects" and then some...but the child decides what it is they are studying.  It's been very freeing for us.  I've learned a lot about my children.  It's kinda like unschooling, with documentation/accountability.  

They are widely available on Amazon, and most of them have a video in the customer review section, so you can see inside :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)